Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Insider

Trucker
Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Some time ago there was mention of a new Flex Insider coming out soon.

That has been several months ago. I hope that hasn't been forgotten. A lot of us would really like to know what the overall status of SmartSDR. And what,if any, future updates and/or upgrades are coming or at least planned. There are several bugs and features that really need attention. Some of the issues in current features have existed ever since the introduction of SmartSDR and the 6000 Series radios. I, and others have harped on those issues for years. And yet, nothing ever seems to be done about addressing those issues. Obviously, in this case, the squeaking wheel doesn't get any grease. And it's becoming obvious that it never will. Workarounds work, but shouldn't have to be needed for basic features.

How about some real communication with your customers FRS? But please don't mention things you don't really plan to address and make right.

James

WD5GWY

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2022

We are working on an Insider right now.

It is surprisingly long to publish so many departments agree and so many moving targets.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing it Mike. Thanks for replying.

James

WD5GWY

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

I receive the latest Insider today 8/8/22. Many thanks for the update. I was starting to wonder what the heck was going on. The last Insider / News Update I received was back in December 2020.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

That's good to hear.

I haven't received mine yet.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

If you didn’t receive it, you may not have signed up for FlexRadio communications.

You can email me at [email protected] and I will forward it to you.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Mike, thank you. I have been a subscriber to the Flex Insider ever since it was introduced. But, for some reason, ( one I outlined in my email to you) I haven't received the latest Insider. I did go ahead and sign up again on the Flex Insider page on the Flex Radio website. Hopefully, it will stick.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW

If you are having trouble subscribing, you can find it on this page:

Look way down at the bottom right

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike.

Found the link earlier and signed up.

Any idea if I will get the new Insider? Or will it not take effect till the next one

James

WD5GWY

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭

Did not get it either... :(

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭

I also didn’t receive a copy this time

Winston VK7WH

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭

Hello Mike, I signed up again for the Insider only to receive the response that my email was already registered, which I knew was the case. Would you mind following this up for me.

Many thanks,

Winston VK7WH

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Another member sent me a copy. If someone is thinking about buying new hardware, this Insider outlines the difficulty FRS, just like many manufacturers, is experiencing sourcing components to continue building their line of Amateur radio products. That is understandable. What isn't understandable, is no clear communication about the future of SmartSDR. No mention of improvements to existing functionality ( basic features) or possible future full versions of SmartSDR.

It would appear to me that other than addressing issues that effect the entire customer base, and creates a lot of complaints, Flex Radio has no real intention of improving upon the current version of SmartSDR. Much less planning to introduce a new, full version upgrade, with new, useful features.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW

If you didn't receive your Insider, please send me an email with your email address

[email protected]

In checking some of the logs, some of you may have marked us as spam once (that is tracked and reported to our emailing tools) and others, your email is soft bouncing. Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly why.

Others have not actually opt'd in or subscribed for notifications, at least from the data I have to review.

Lastly, make sure it isn't sitting in your spam folder.

It will be posted on the website shortly. We are just waiting for the company that manages the website to do it. https://www.flexradio.com/insider/

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike. I re-registered and got a confirmation email. But, still no official Insider from Flex Radio itself. I did however, receive a copy from another Flex user. So that base was covered. I have checked my Spam folder both online with my email provider and in Outlook on my pc. Neither one shows an email from FRS. I appreciate your help.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW

All

Here is the latest insider in case you missed it.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Perhaps the next Insider will give a hint as to any ongoing programming efforts.

• Mike-VA3MW

We do have a policy of not announcing 'things' until they are actually in a position to be announced.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Hi Mike. Yes, it's a safe bet most Flex owners are very aware FRS doesn't make future announcements, although when Gerald was writing the Insider he did occasionally provide hints concerning future expectations. Flex equipment owners would no doubt enjoy knowing some progress is being made, at least software wise.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Butch,

It has got to the point complaining about SmartSDR updates, improvements etc. has become a waste of time. For me at least, it has become abundantly clear things like a properly working Automatic Notch Filter, improved Noise Reduction and an All Mode Squelch, are never going to be addressed. Putting out major fires that directly effect all Flex Radio users, is the only things that will ever be addressed.

Flex Radio isn't offering any glimpses into the future of SmartSDR because there isn't any. And now that Icom has jumped into the Frey by introducing a new amplifier that adds Adaptive Pre-Destortion plus, many new features to be added to attract the contester market that Flex Radio has really been focusing on all along. This new announcement by Icom should reveal a lot about Flex Radio's future involvement in the Amateur Radio market.

Just my 2 cents.

James

WD5GWY

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

If you go Icom route, the 7610, the new PW-2 and the new Marcus Icom remote SW is an option.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

I figure the new Icom PW-2 with its version of pre-distortion and other features, is an attempt by Icom to pull Contesters away from Flex Radio's line up of radios, amplifier and antenna tuner.

Depending on price and actual performance, it could impact future sales for Flex Radio. It will certainly be interesting to see how well the 7610 and PW-2 actually do compared to current Flex Radio offerings. Interesting times ahead!

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW

The way ADP works is that it has to be done on the radio, not the amplifier.

RF is sampled at the exit from the Amplifier and fed back to the software in the radio. The radio then makes the required changes and sends an adjusted RF envelope to the amplifier.

Many amplifiers today have the required 60db pad installed on them for the RF sampling, the PGXL included.

From a marketing perspective, you do have to ask how many will spend significant money to upgrade their station for ADP if it doesn't appear to make an operation improvement in QSO count. It just makes you a nice neighbough (this is the elephant in the room question). :)

Would you spend $3-5K more?

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Note, if you go Icom you will need to buy two 7610s to accomplish SO2R whereas with FlexRadio you need just one 6600 or 6700 an important fact for the contester market.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Mike, read the second post in this thread. He offers a possible explanation on how Icom may be implementing APD.

Plus, if you watch the Icom video, it appears the ability to do APD ( hardware wise) may, like the later Flex 6000 Series radios, contain the necessary feedback connection internally to provide the ability to do APD with a firmware update, just like we have been told could take place with our Flex 6000 Series radios.

I think it will depend on the price and performance of the Icom PW-2 for people to switch to the Icom for contesting. Who knows, they may even introduce a new transceiver that makes SO2R as easy as it is on the Flex 6600/6700.

I don't need to buy an Icom to get APD. I have an Anan 8000DLE for that. I still enjoy using my 6600M. And have no plans to get rid of it. My simple wish is it's firmware and software had its basic features working to their full potential. That would make me a happy camper.

James

WD5GWY

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

I think it's great 403A incorporated ADP circuitry into the PG-XL amplifier. It's too bad the Flex transceivers can't take advantage of it.

Butch, KF4HR

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Someday soon....

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Someday soon....

Perhaps, but it's a safe bet that many Flex owners that have been waiting years for certain software improvements are probably not so optimistic. Perhaps the next edition of the Insider will provide at least a hint as to what might be in store for SmartSDR.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Butch, I guess I am a dreamer. Maybe, it would have been better to just say, someday!

Same can be said for the next Insider. Given the time in-between those, Someday is a reasonable answer. As for hints about the future of SmartSDR, I can fairly confidently say, probably not going to be revealed until it's ready for us beta Testers to download and find more bugs and incomplete features the Alpha Testers missed. Maybe, that will happen before I reach room temperature!

James

WD5GWY

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

APD will be nice, whenever it is implemented by various manufacturers.

But a HUGE percentage of the "bad neighbor" splatter/IMD would be significantly improved if operators properly adjusted the drive on their radios and amplifiers and didn't try to coax the last possible few Watts out of their amplifiers - driving them into non-linearity in the process. Or using ALC as a method of trying to add a little bit of extra "compression" to their signals.

The difference, for example, between a relatively clean 1000 Watts and a dirty 1100 Watts is impossible to detect on the air. Except that the extra 100 Watts often appears as wide sidebands and splatter - adding nothing to the actual signal intelligence.

It is kind of like the argument in the 70's and 80's when the U.S. government, after significantly cleaning up automotive emissions, wanted to go another round by adding some insanely tight emission requirements, which would be extremely costly, and only marginally improve the total emissions picture.

But removing ONE old clunker from the road that had NO emission controls would have had more effect than implementing the new controls on 100 new vehicles.