Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

V3.3.32 CWX issues

Tried V3.3.32 CWX, the dot to dash spacing is not consistant. Dots can run together with dashes. Hand keying sound heavy and dfficult to craft a good sounding CW transmission.

Anyone seeing similar issues? Any suggestions?

Thanks;

Bill

Comments

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭

Rebooted the radio and CWX is okay now. Radio has been on for over a week. Will file a report with the help desk.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Bill, there is a known issue with CW. Are you operating remotely? Using a Maestro? Which radio are you running?

I find that when running CW remotely, I have to dial in some CW Delay. I most often operate remotely when I am up in the mountains with very poor cell service (using my phone as a WiFi hotspot). Last time out, I found inconsistent CW even with 80 ms of CW Delay. Once I moved it up to 100 ms, it cleared right up. I added another 50 ms just to be sure and have left it there ever since. Normally, at home I can run it at 30 ms or less.

You mention CWX. Are you typing CW into the CWX window? I don't operate that way, so I don't know if there is an issue with it or not.

How do you have your hand key connected? If you are using the accessory socket, try plugging into the key socket and set Iambic off. That might help.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Don’t understand the complaint. CWX issue or manual keying problem.

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭

Len-

Thanks for the suggestions, as mentioned there was something wrong with the radio internal software. Rebooting the radio cleared the problem. Had some delay dialed in as well.

Typing into the CWX window sounded bad as well. The internal keyer was not operating properly.

I am running 6700 to a local PC with the key plugged into the front panel.

73;

Bill

• Steve Ellington
    Steve Ellington Member ✭✭

This is "normal". After running for a few days cw turns into garbage. A software shut down and restart usually clears it up but sometimes the radio needs a restart. I'm not sure which revision this started in. There's also the playback problem which distorts the recorded audio and requires a restart. It's frustrating and even embarrassing at times. I guess Flex has bigger fish to fry as they say.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Thanks, we have this one documented as SMART-8513.

• geoffs
    geoffs Member
    I've experienced this as well. When it happens, and club members hear it on the air, they start asking what's wrong. Explaining that this high $$ radio can't send CW reliably is quite embarrassing.
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

I've experienced this as well. Embarrassing is the right word. I use my Ten-Tec for CW now.

• Also I have noticed that the sidetone begins to slightly truncate the dit length after operating cw for a while. The actual transmission isn't truncated. The total "trashing" of the cw takes a day or two to show up, then it's reboot time. Apparently the bit bucket gets overfilled. 😒

BTW: I wonder if the audio recording problems are related to this?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.