Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How should RF sense work?

W2NER
W2NER Member ✭✭

I have my tuner setup with my TS-990, and it will sense the radio frequency, however it will not start a tune unless I push the tune button on the front panel or the interface software. I expected it to start a tune on a band or freq not in memory. If the frequency is in memory already, it goes to those setting. So, if I change to a frequency that is new, it will sense that there is RF, but it will not start a tune sequence unless I press the tune button on the front panel or the interface software.

I do not plan on using the CAT at all, so is this operating as designed? If it is, it would be nice if RF sense would also initiate a tune sequence.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi

I created a support ticket for you. They are a big backed up, but they will get back to you.

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭

Thanks, should it do this or is there a bug in the firmware?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The tuner when used with non-Flex requires you to generate a 25 watt carrier from transceiver and then hit tune on front of tuner or from TG XL app.

It is not a tuner that 8nitiates a tune cycle if it detects high SWR. You must initially train the tuner for each antenna for each band. (If you use multiple antennas per band.

The tuner will support 10 memories per band per antenna up to 4 antennas (3 on the 1x3 model). 160 meters supports 20 memories per antenna.

So, for 80 meters I start tuning at 3.525 MHz and tune every 50 kHz ending at 3.975 MHz. That is 10 memories. When I tune around on 80 the tuner will use the closest frequency’s tuning solution.

Similar to how you tuned the Alpha 87A AMD before AlphaMax firmware or the OM2500A amp. They must be trained initially.

I do recommend using CAT from TS990 to the tuner so the tuner will follow frequency of radio and you will not initially key up into high SWR. There are ways to share CAT from the radio to multiple hardware devices and software programs.

Dave wo2x

• jeffreydoran
    jeffreydoran Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Hi Dave, I'm sorry, maybe I misunderstood...how does the TGXL SO2R version support 4 antennas? Thanks! NJ2US
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2022

SO2R tuner connected to 4O3A 2x8 Antenna Genius.

See antenna config in this video on setting up the tuner.

Dave wo2x

• W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022

I have had the tuner now for a little over two weeks and I have to say I love it. The only things I don't like are the screen (which is a touch screen) can not change anything via touch, you must use the software, not good. The other is, RF sensing should have more than 10 memories. IMO it should not be less than 20 per band. These things should be easily fixed with a firmware update. Other than that, I am happy with it.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

This has been noted before. There is a touch screen, but no software support for it

• David Decoons, wo2x

Hi Nick,

I use a non-resonant antenna on 80 meters with the TGXL. I initially tuned it every 50 kHz starting at 3.525 MHz and ending at 3.975 MHz. That is ten memories. If I go on a frequency in between any tuning memory it will use the closest tuning solution. I have not had any issue with SWR above 1.4:1 anyplace on the band. Whether RF Sense, CAT, or Flex LAN sensing it will properly detect frequency.

Why aren’t you using CAT? Have you tried resetting the tuner and try again using only ten memories?

There are 20 memories per antenna on 160 meters.

Smaller segment bands like 12 and 17 might only need two memories.

And don’t forget, if your antenna is resonant on a section of a band you can use the bypass feature to bypass a segment of a band so you don’t need to use the tuner across the whole band.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.