Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connecting an Antenna Genius to my Lan Network.

This probably sounds like a dumb question to ask but I'm going to ask it anyway. If I were to install an Antenna Genius at my tower, I understand that I would connect the single Coax to come into the station to the Unit. And then the 5 antenna coax's that I have for my different antennas. I understand that with my Lan connection I can have my radio communicate with the antenna genius and have it pick the right antenna for the particular band that I am on with my Flexradio 6400M. But I guess I would have to run a very long Lan Cable from my Router to connect to the Antenna Genius. Either that or have one of those units that one installs to have a wifi connection wherever. The problem is that I would have to install that down in my basement to connect it to the outside at the tower. I have to admit, that I am totally in the dark when it comes to doing something like this. Any suggestions, would be very much appreciated.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

In addition to extending your network to the tower, you need 12 volts to power the AG.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

You could use a WiFi connection, but you would need a WiFi device that essentially adds WiFi to the AG. They do exist. This would do the job: https://www.flexradio.com/products/flexradio-wi-fi-network-bridge/

However, you might find it simpler to pull a single direct burial LAN cable from the house to the tower and then does POE (power over ethernet) on the LAN cable. They make these for a number of uses, so you want to look for a 12VDC version. Give amazon a try. They are pretty popular as they use them for security cameras.

Yes, a bit more work, but in the long run, it will be more reliable.

I hope that helps.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Mike,

Ok I somewhat understand what you are saying. Here is a device on Amazon,...Amazon.com: Cudy POE200 30W Gigabit PoE Injector Adapter, 30W,10/100/1000Mbps RJ-45, IEEE 802.3af / 802.3at Compliant, up to 100 Meters (325 Feet) : Electronics. I see output from the router goes to the input and then the output would connect to the Lan Connection on the Antenna Genius. But I really don't understand how I can connect this device to the power connection on the Antenna Genius. It looks like I would need 2 cables. Am I thinking incorrectly or what?

Mark KB3Z

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

I just watched a video on Youtube. Which explained the Power over ethernet function. For this to work, it would require the Antenna Genius Lan connection to be POE Compatible. And I do not know if it is or it isn't. Does anyone have an answer to that one?

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.