Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink and Apple routers (Airport, Time Capsule, etc)

David Decoons, wo2x
David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
edited October 2020 in Remote Operation (SmartLink)
I just helped a gentleman running an Apple Time Capsule router (same as Airport Extreme with the built in backup drive).

We found out that the Airport routers do not support uPNP. We needed to use manual port forwarding. Here is a pdf which describes how to add port forwarding to the Apple router.
https://www.rainmachine.com/support/portforwarding/Port-Forwarding-Apple-AirPortExtreme-Router-for-HTTPS.pdf

You only need to add one port forwarding rule to the Apple Airport (or Time Capsule) router.

On page 4 of the PDF it shows how to add the port forwarding.. Here are the setting you need to enter.

Description: ​SmartLink
Public UDP Ports: ​ 22000  
Public TCP Ports: ​ 21000   
Private IP Address: ​ <enter the IP  address of the radio>  
Private UDP Port(s): ​ 4993   
Private TCP Port(s): ​ 4994

Click ​ Save​  button> The router will reboot.

Next go into SmartLink Setup and expand Network Settings. Click Manual and enter the following settings 

Click Save then click the test button. You should get a green indicator and if you hover over it (SmartSDR) or click it (Maestro) the bottom section UDP and TCP should show pass.

Dave wo2x

Tagged:

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Dave

Why the choice of ports 22000, and 21000 on the WAN side?

On my Time Capsule,  I port forwarded WAN side TCP 4994 and WAN side UDP 4993, to the LAN side TCP 4994, and UDP 4993 ports. The SmartLink Test Came back with a green indicator after I rebooted the Time Capsule.

Should I change my WAN side port assignments?

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    no, you can leave them as-is. Just what we used.

Dave

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Dave
    Thanks for the quick reply! I had no particular reason to setup the 1 to 1 pairings I used, and thought I might have overlooked something important.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I think you also need to enable NAT-PMP also.....
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited July 2017
    It was already enabled. Check the pdf article I lonked to in the above posting. Page 4 I believe. Dave
  • MarkN7MHB
    MarkN7MHB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You might want to do a DHCP reservation too.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    That I dd early on, setting static address for a number different devices.
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Dave - Thanks for posting this, it instantly enabled smartlink for me on my apple airport extreme. I was starting to think it was going to be very complicated but this worked perfectly and was super easy to follow. Thanks again!!!!!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2017
    Glad it helped! Dave wo2x

• tonyfrg
    tonyfrg Member
    edited June 2020
    I'm a new Flex6600 owner and have an Airport Express....this worked great.  Thanks Much - Tony W4TYB
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2018
    You are welcome. Glad it was useful. 73 Dave wo2x
  • rskiba
    rskiba Member
    Just tried this configuration tonight and it worked perfectly! Thank you
  • David Decoons, wo2x

You are welcome!

Dave wo2x

• W4DLH
    W4DLH Member
    Dave. I have an Apple Airport Time Capsule router. It's so old it really should be replaced but that's another discussion. Thanks for posting this very helpful discussion.
    Got it working!!
    Dean
  • David Decoons, wo2x

Glad it helped Dean. I have upgraded to an Eero mesh system.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.