Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FR Stack for Flex ver 3.1.35.65

w5ap
w5ap Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Third-Party Software

I've been using this excellent software for years but always had clicking/popping coming out of the speakers, and front panel of my 6600M announcing of IP adr 192.168.1.34 connecting/disconnecting, as well as disconnects/re-connects of my PGXL app and Antenna Genius app. Since installing Malwarebytes because of brute force attacks emanating from my system, The attacks are gone but Malwarebytes identified www.mkcmsoftware.com as a Trojan attack. I've quit using FR Stack3 and have not noticed any other problems with my system. Using a Cisco gigabyte switch

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I passed this on to Mark

Can you share more of the story here? I use FRStack all the time on my 6600M without issue.

What concerns me is that the IP messages are non-stop. You should only see 1 message and that is when it connects once. Something else seems to be causing the disconnects and then FRstack reconnects.

The bigger question is what is causing the disconnects between the PC and the Radio? In the networking world we call this Flapping. It could be caused by a bad LAN cable (yes, the happen) or a switch that is constantly resetting.

I know others use Malwarbytes and it doesn't report FRStack as a risk. This is strange.

The popping you hear is FRStack reconnecting to the radio.

What version of SmartSDR are you using?

• Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭

Hello James,

You definitely have a unique situation occurring. The only reason the FRStack would be connecting, disconnecting then reconnecting would be if the TCP network connection the FlexAPI makes with the radio is terminated / closed.

To diagnose:

Temporarily stop your virus on-access software and malwarebytes software, Stop any client to your Flex 6K. Now start FRStack and connect to the radio. Look for issue. Start SmartSDR and connect to the radio. Look for the issue. Start Malwarebytes software, look for the issue and so on. When you see the issue the last software you started is most likely the culprit.

Reach out to me if you want to arrange a Zoom / Teams or TeamViewer call. 73

• w5ap
    w5ap Member ✭✭

Thanks to both of you for this quick reply

I'm running SDR 3.3.32.8203

and the latest greatest software on my AG as well as PGXL

The switch is a Cisco SG250-08HP 8 Port Gigabit PoE Smart Switch I don't use the PoE as it comes from the Calix router.

Sometimes the AG or the PGXL drops off and re-connects as well. Random

Perhaps I should assign fixed IP's to the AG and PGXL, but I've tried that before.

This behavior has been going on for years. I've tried other gigabit switches as well.

I don't do any wi-fi (everything is cat 5e or higher shielded cables with DX Engineering ISO-Plus filters on all Lan cables) I've replaced LAN cables to no avail

I would like to zoom or connect with you Mark - possibly before the NAQP rtty this Sat.

I'll be leaving today and returning Friday afternoon. I'll run your suggestions then

Tnx es 73, Jim - W5AP

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

No need for fixed IP's as that won't make a difference. DHCP is the better way to go as the software is designed to work well with it.

What I would do is do a command line ping with a -t switch so it runs forever.

I would run multiple command line windows, 1 for each device and see if it fails to all at the same time. I would do one for all the Radio devices, 1 for the router and 1 for some other device on the network.

This will give you a clue.

BTW, I have had issues with Gigabit switches and when I went back to 100mb, they 'seemed' more stable. Can you swap out your SG250 just for a test? Maybe one of the ports are flapping.

M

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Like Mike, I replaced the gigabit switch with a repurposed 100MB router by disabling the WiFi. Much more reliable. The data rate for the 6400 doesn’t stress it.

• Mike-VA3MW

Interesting - I can only guess why, but maybe it is due to AutoNegotiate in the switch.

Let us know how it goes.

• w5ap
    w5ap Member ✭✭

Here is what I've done that I think has helped:

Followed setup according to N6TV's presentation of port properties

Entered Control Panel/Network and Sharing/Ethernet/my ethernet card/Properties/configure/power management- unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Entered Device Manager and viewed/removed all ghosted ports and made sure all USB ports were configured in Device Manager/ports/advance properties/Port settings/Advanced as per N6TV ie. no boxes checked except Disable Modem Ctrl at startup

Entered my Cisco SG Smart gigabyte switch and:

ensured that "Green Ethernet" and "Smart Port" were disabled

Ran ping test to all LAN devices in the shack and found all were <1ms except the RigRunner 4005i internet relay used to turn on/off equipment remotely - which was <13ms and usually <1ms (this device works well and is not a factor here)

Ensured that all programs in Task Manager/Startup were disabled.

I contested in the NAQP RTTY using N1MM+ and had no drops or problems.

So I may be approaching Nervana - Hi

Thanks for your help

73, Jim - W5AP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.