Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heil Pro 7 Headset

Mark Griffin
Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

GA Guys,

I have a Heil Pro 7 Headset. Does anyone know of a cable that I can purchase that would allow me to connect the headset to my Flexradio 6400. I know what connection would go the Headphone Jack. And I assume the other connection would be for transmit. I looked at Heil Adapters and didn't see anything out there. I really don't want to spend the money to purchase a new RadioSport from Arlan with the cable. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks!

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Answers

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Mark:

I have the pro 7 connected to my 6600. The standard pro 7 cable has a 1/8 inch stereo (TRS) plug for the head phones and a 1/8 inch mono (tip sleeve) plug for the mic. I direct connect the stock heil cable to the radio, no adapter need. Bias off. See page 19 of the 6600/6400 hardware manual.

The Heil cable is a little short to reach rear of the radio, I wanted the Pro 7 cables to route under operating desktop. I use a pair stereo extension cables (available on Amazon) to get the length that I need. No HUM, or RF in the mic. Your mileage may vary.

Since the 6600 has a balanced input I also have a boom mic on that input, I needed some mix31 fer-rite on that input.

Hope this helps.

Gayle K0FLY

• Gayle,

I currently have that cable connected to my Pro-7. So that would be an easy connection for me. I do have the Kenwood Cable Adapter, but I won't have to use that. I will have to check page 19 about setting the Bias to off.

Thanks for your help!

Mark KB3Z

• Gayle,

Are you referring to Page 22 of the manual? I assume in the Phone/CW Tab?

Mark KB3Z

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

I was referring to page 19 of the hardware manual to show the Mic and headphone jack positions. You will have to go to the SSDR manual to turn the bias on/off, yes it is the phone and CW tab. If you need some more Mic gain the 20 db button needs to be BLUE.

I set this up with Mic profiles for the two microphones that I use.

Enjoy

Gayle K0FLY

• AA5NM
    AA5NM Member ✭✭
    THIS IS ENCOURAGING, HOWEVER… can someone say in plain English how you connect the Heil Pro 7 (blue) HEADSET to the FLEX 6400. Do you just plug the earphone into the audio out and plug the microphone into the mike in? How do you do PTT? I don’t. Undeerstand how it connects and don’t have a rig yet to look at it closely.
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

The Tip Ring Sleeve plug to the headphones out and the Tip /sleeve (mic) to the mic input. PTT from a foot switch to the RCA jack.

Gayle

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

yes there is an rca jack on the back for ptt, either foot switch or putt button on a hand mike.

• AA5NM
    AA5NM Member ✭✭

In social work graduate school and psychiatric social work school they omitted lessons in visualization of the rear of the FLEX6400. In checking for resources, I understand now that there are several manuals and documents available online for the guidance of adept technically skilled persons to make adaptations for such things as Heil Pro 7 headsets and that I am to accept that it is incumbent upon me to discover which one of these documentations and resources is applicable. I will make a study of the material soon as I learn where it is located, and will not be asking for directions to where documentation is stored in these cavernous data-philic adhesions and amalgams. I am really super amazed that there isn’t a picture of a Heil Pro 7 headset and the back of a FLEX 6400 radio which includes the necessary connectors or adapters or some sort of visuals. In the same vein, a map of the data sourced in these catacombs would help a neophyte explore with more enjoyment. In short, the desire to make all the necessary exceptions and adjustments for the known glitches and the ordinary combination of kinds of microphones and headsets available for all to chose from seem to push one more toward cancellation of ones order than a further wandering through resources that don’t quite match or add up. Who designed the tendency toward confusion and mystery, esoteric knowledge and novice befuddlement?

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

It seems to me that all the technical information regarding the connections on the 6400 and their functions are clearly explained in the Flex hardware manual. Software changes, bias on/off, and gain, are likewise explained in the software manual.

You may have to contact Heil to get their wiring configuration and mic specs. And you will have to specify either an electret or dynamic mic.

From there the interface should be pretty straightforward.

It's not that complicated.

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭

No adapters needed. Plug your PRO-7 mic into #24. Plug the headphones into #27. Plug PTT switch into #8.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.