Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Proper way to constrain PGXL transmit power output

What is the proper way to constrain a PGXL amp to, say, no more than 300 watts if a particular antenna is only rated for that value? I'm using SmartSDR for Mac and a Flex6400. Thanks.

Best Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Not today, however, you. might be able to come up with a NodeRed solution.

John's point is accurate in that an increase from 100 watts to 300 watts will not really be noticeable by the receiving station.

A great experiment is to get on the air with someone and very your power from 100 to 300 and see if they really notice the difference. I had an Elmer make me do this and it wasn't until after that I really appreciated the physics of RF power.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

A couple of comments.

Use the TX band setting table to set power out per band for use with the amp.

In FRStack if you set the field "When PG XL mode is Operate remember radio power and limit maximum radio power" and set that to zero. THat will use the TX band data for power setting. It defaults to 50. If left at default it will set power out to 50 every time you complete a tune cycle on TG XL.

73 Dave wo2x

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe just bypass the amp? Boosting a 100 watt transmitter to 300 watts is barely a one half s unit increase, no one will notice.

• Ron_K4XRF
    Ron_K4XRF Member
    Thanks Mike & John. I'm brand-new to the PGXL (and amps in general) so I now understand the only way to vary the transmit power of the amp is to just vary the output power of the connected Flex6400 via the RF Power slider in SmartSDR.

I was originally thinking I had to set the output power of the Flex6400 to a constant value (somewhere between 1-100) and then somehow adjust the transmit power on the PGXL, but that's not the case.

Ron / K4XRF
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

FRSTACK has a power level setting for PGXL in Operate then goes back to 100 watts on standby, but not for a particular antenna.

• Ian
    Ian Member ✭✭

Hi Ron

I use Global profiles. I set up one for each mode ... FT8, RTTY, CW and SSB. I then set many of the parameters for each mode that I want such as tune power and RF power ... per band and save the profile. that way you can set the power per band.

as far as running power with the PGXL I have noticed a difference in being able to making contacts with as little a 200 watts from the PGXL ... doubling the power is only 3 db but every db counts in poor conditions ... but of course your mileage may vary

good luck the PGXL is awesome

73, Ian VE3JI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.