Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I have two questions: Re 6400 Won't Boot Up and Receiver

I am looking at replacing my FT-847 with a Flex-6400. I read here about Boot up Issues, is this a frequent or infrequent occurrence, as I don't want to be shipping my radio back to the USA from Australia.
I have been told that the 6600 has a better receiver than the 6400, I understand about the additional receivers in the 6600, however they are not important to me. I am just interested in the quality of the receivers that are supplied in the 6400.
Regards
Ron

Best Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    1. I think failure to boot is reasonably rare.
    2. My understanding is that receiver performance is the same for the 6400 and 6600. However, the 6600 has substantial additional contest band filtering. In addition, the 6600 can receive on two antennas simultaneously and offers diversity reception. It also has two transverter jacks (rather than one) and has a balanced mic input. Both are very nice radios.
  • RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    Thank you for your prompt and curious reply Neil,
    I am pleased to hear that the failure to boot is rare.
    In my case I only have one antenna with an MFJ-994BRT ATU at its base eliminating the need for an inbuilt ATU and 2 Antenna inputs.
    I have never owned a transverter and I only use the radio for CW and Digital modes.
    Therefore it looks like the 6400 will do the job for me.
    Once again thank you for your reply.
    Cheers
    Ron VK4JE
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Ron, I concur with Neil that the failure to boot is not a common event. Like any piece of equipment, there is a non-zero chance of failure, but that does not imply an unacceptable failure rate.

The 6600 has a slight edge over the 6400 due to the ADC sampling rate being double that of the 6400 as well as the filtering and other features that Neil pointed out. That being said, I doubt that anyone could listen to a 6600 and a 6400 side by side and tell the difference.

The big question is the use that you will be putting the radio to. If you are a heavy-duty contester (especially if you do SO2R), then the 6600 is likely the right rig. If you do a lot of satellite work with multiple transverters, then the 6600 is a better choice (can be done with the 6400 but you have more options with the 6600). If you want to experiment with diversity reception, go with the 6600.

If you are not interested in the things that the 6600 has over the 6400, then the 6400 is probably your best bet. I moved up to a Flex 6400 from a Kenwood TS-2000 and the Flex is leaps and bounds better (not really a fair comparison...). I think that you would find the same thing comparing the FT-847 to the Flex.

A shift of thinking to contend with (easy for some, hard for others), is using your computer to control the Flex. I personally find the Flex-supplied control program, SmartSDR, very easy and intuitive to use. If you would not be happy without knobs and buttons to control the rig, you would want to consider a Maestro or an "M" model.

If you can find someone with a Flex 6x00, I recommend operating their station for an hour or two. That is how I wound up with my 6400. I went to the local ham store and played with all the big three Japanese brands. Next, I went to my friend Dave, W4WKU's house, spent an hour fiddling with his 6400 and went right out and ordered one for myself.

Best of luck with your decision - it is always fun to get a new rig!

• RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi Len,
    Thanks for your fulsome reply. Between yourself and Neil I think the 6400 will be the unit for me.

It is a shame the Flex do not have a demo radio, I installed all of the software onto my PC thinking I may be able see how the software works, but as you know and I did not, the software needs to be looking at a radio to work.

Thanks again
    Cheers
    Ron VK4JE
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Ron, yes it sounds like it! I agree that a demo mode would be a great thing. I can't begin to imagine the amount of work to get that going, however...

On the other hand, maybe you can get a fellow radio club member to let you have a go with their Flex (locally or remotely). I looked you up on QRZ, and it looks like you are not too far from Brisbane. Must be a few Flex radios there...

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓

I have a 6400. The two panadapters are about all I can handle mentally. Like any computer, there are occasional glitches but all of mine have been fixed by powering down and restarting. For me, the flex supplied SmartSDR works well, being comfortable using mouse and occasional keyboard entry. I recommend starting with a basic 6400, and perhaps adding a maestro later, if it seems desirable, rather than M version. The combined cost is about the same, with much more flexibility.

The same software operates either the 6400 and the 6600, so they are functionally equivalent Since I don’t operate in a multi-transmitter environment, the difference in filtering is not noticible The receive bandwidth controls, noise reduction, noise blanker, and other receive functions are the same on either radio. Because the bandwidth filters are software elements, the response curves aren’t curves at all, but flat with very steep skirts, and the same in either radio.

it would be inconvenient from OZ, but flex does offer a 30 day return if not satisfied, at least here in the US.

The SmartSDR software is a free download, which will allow the use of someone's radio remotely. It is theoretically possible to operate a flex in the US or UK from your QTH if adequate internet is available. There are some external programs that enhance the operation of the flex radio. My preferred is the free download FRstack.

Answers

• RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    Thanks John,
    Clearly I have a lot to learn, I had not heard of FRStack until you mentioned here, I have downloaded and installed it ready for a 6400.
    I doubt Flex would offer a 30 day trial in Australia, I can't even get their Australian Agent to answer an eMail.
    Thank you very much for the information you provided.
    I am OK with computers, I don't need knobs so I will be fine without them.
    Cheers
    Ron VK4JE
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited July 2022

Ron, Steve at Future Systems is pretty good. I suspect for some reason, he hasn't received your comms

If you can't get him to reply, email me at info@flexradio.com and I will do an introduction.

• RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    Good Morning Mike,
    I think the way I am heading at the moment is best for me, asking the Flex Community Questions as I have received prompt courteous replies.

As I grow older I tend not to waste time on retailers that do not answer their phone or email, if fact as of my 78th birthday they only get 'Once shot in the locker'.

I now intend to purchase direct from Flex Radio, therefore I see it as unfair to take up the time of your dealer on the other side of Australia and then not follow through with a purchase from them.

On another note, maybe Flex have more demand for Radio's than they can supply, therefore there is no need to make it easier for potential clients (outside the USA) to 'buy', if this is not the case and it is as easy as the Flex Radio Advertising states to connect to a remote station, maybe Flex Radio could setup a 7 day access to an old 6400 for a fee.

Thanks for followup on my comment to John, at least I know someone is on the ball.

Ron VK4JE
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Ron,

If you like we can do a Zoom session and I can give you a tour of my 6600M. Not the same as connecting to a live radio but it can give you a pretty good idea at least.

Contact me off list if you like. My email is good on QRZ.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.