Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RF Sense

K4QXX
K4QXX Member ✭✭

I am trying to get my Yaesu FTdx10 setup as my backup radio and I am trying to get it to work with the Tuner Genius XL. I am using the same antennas as I use with my 6700 but when I transmit with the Yaesu, I get a "No PTT IN" alarm on the tuner genius. I thought the TG could RF Sense? I see RF SENSE on the front display but I'm not sure how it works.

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

You still need to set up a PTT or the TGXL will not go into TX mode.

RF Sense is for frequency detection.

Answers

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭

Mike

I have a Ten-Tec Eagle that I would like to use with the TGXL. Since I can't use CAT/CI-V that leaves the FlexRadio as my option as indicated above. So when I switch radios this means i have to go into the TGXL control panel and change the PTT source. What about the the serial number? I find this approach rather strange and actually more work than it is worth. I would think that the tuner should be able to take whatever input you provide. I am using the 1x3 tuner.

Don - kx9q

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Since there can be multiple Flex radios and multiple TG XLs on same network, and PTT from Flex is via LAN, it needs a way to determine specific Flex.

Dave wo2x

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭

I understand what you are saying, however, I also have a flex 1500 along with the Ten-Tec Eagle and the question is how am I able to utilize the TGXL with the 1500 and the Eagle? Do I have to plug and unplug various radios to the TGXXL in order to use the TGXL? If so that will defeat the use of the TGXL with non flex or older flex radios by making it cumbersome using the TGXL.

Don - kx9q

• David Decoons, wo2x

Well, the TG XL needs to see PTT from the radio (whichever you use).

W2IHY makes the iPlus which switches speakers, mic, and PTT out from multiple radios. You could look into something like that.

Dave wo2x

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Thank you for the info on the W2IHY iPlus. Out of curiosity I noticed the TGXL has a PTT In and PTT out (1x3 TGXL).  So can I run a cable from the PTT out on the TGGXL to the PTT in on the PGXL?  That way I would only need one PTT cable from the radio to control the TGXL and PGXL. I also noticed the PGXL has a PTT in and PTT out. Not sure why I would need a PTT out on the PGXL.

Don

• David Decoons, wo2x

Hi Don,

the PTT delta that needs to be set in the radio needs to cover the tuner PTT and amp PTT. If the radio cannot be adjusted with enough TX delay then you can have your PTT switch go to the tuner, then tuner to amp, then amp to radio. That makes sure tuner and amp are in tx before RF is applied.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.