Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has anyone used an iOS emulator on Android?

KD0RC
KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I see that there are a couple of emulators available that allow iOS apps to run on Android devices. Has anyone tried one with SmartSDR for iOS?

I don't have high hopes for this, but it would sure be nice to be able to use my Android phone to operate my 6400 remotely.

Answers

• rdwing
    rdwing Member ✭✭
    There is no such legit iOS emulator for Android. It doesn't even exist for PC.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I found 6 different iOS emulators for Android, which is why I asked. I did reach out to Marcus, DL8MRE and he said that the emulators won't work because he uses hardware-related features of the Apple.

Now if someone would just write a version of SmartSDR for Android...

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

An Android app is many years overdue. I believe the problem with developers who started doing an Android app stopped because there are so many versions of Android for different manufacturers it would be a nightmare to develop so many versions. Here is my thought to any developers reading this.

Remember "if you build it they will come" ?

Build an app for one major brand for example SAMSUNG. That's it, just one, keeps the development costs down, get it released for a reasonable price, support it and that should be a decent business model. I do believe that people who don't have Samsung would migrate to that brand. There are many who won't go to iPhone no matter what for various reasons, the point is Android is here to stay.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I would definitely dump my IPhone's in a heart beat if a ANDROID APP was available, my Samsung Android Phone really runs circles around my iPhone 12 in a LOT of applications like CarPlay, Light control, Outlet Controller, RCForb and as a Phone. The only thing I would miss is Facetime but there are other APPs that functionality work for that.

There are a lot of IOS's and MAC Hardware versions that have become obsolete and won't run anymore, I have a older MAC that is no longer supported because MAC OS doesn't support the hardware and so MAC SmartSDR doesn't support the older OS's either.

I sure wish someone would build a nice featured Android version but I've been waiting for 7 years.

Wish I was a smart programming type guy but I can't wrap my head around that stuff at my age.

73 and hope some great Android programmer buys a FLEX and builds a app for us.

Bret

WX7Y

• rdwing
    rdwing Member ✭✭
    I'm just going to reiterate, there are no iOS emulators for Android that wont steal your money, your data, or something worse. iOS emulation practically doesn't exist at all on any platform. Take it from a smart programming type guy.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

We would love an Android application. :)

Over the past years, I have reached out to many groups but it seems none of them are interested.

I can say at this time, FRS won't be devoting funds to a project such as this in the near future, however, we are here to help anyone who wants to do it. The same is for Linux.

Are there not any Ham operators out there who write Linux applications? Maybe a group of you could gather a team and make it some sort of school/college project.

The interface to the radio is simple. Commands are in plain text. The waterfall is a streaming movie actually and the audio is an audio stream.

It is as open source as you can make it.

Dogpark SDR and SmartSDR for iOS / MAC were written by 2 hams in a short period of time (VE3VRW and DL8MRE). There has to be someone who can do this. It really isn't that complicated.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.