Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best Equalization for PR40 & FlexRadio 6600 ??

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I know its not easy, and each one has its own......
this is what I'm trying

PR40 v1.0   1,-3,-7,-2,2,8,10,10
Mic gain 80
Adjust Vox Delay Settings DX

Got a good report from a friend....however he said was not as good as I usually used to do with my 6300

Any Advice?

Equalization? New Mic?

Best Regards

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ

Answers

• FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
     George, W8NVC in Parma, Ohio. use your monitor with headphones and get it to where you like it. Then go to www.websdr.org. find the remote in Pa,  set the screen for ssb and make sure you set the rx width for what your transmitting at. Listen and you can record on this site. do a recording,  then download it and listen again with headphones, keep that up until you get it just right. Now keep this in mind, The Pr-40 has a lot of bottom end and I like that but that's me, get it to where you like it and leave it. Do some comparisons and you will find your sweet spot and your done. This is better than listening to one guy say it sounds good and the others saying something else. A lot of times it's the band, Just make sure your ALC don't exceed 1 db. most us 0 db but with the pr 40 I would stay at 0 to 1 db. good luck.. 73 from Nick W8NVC Parma Hts Ohio. 
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I would have thought your old EQ setting would be the same for the 6300 and the 6600.  Comparison of mikes especially between days can be misleading.  I have used the same mike, same radio, same settings from day to day and reports of quality are different even from the same individual.  
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    When setting up new microphone on Flex 6000 series I recommend Ken Wells NM9P you tube video 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LytzQGpE5ZM

I set my TX audio up with it couple years back and have not touched it.  
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thank you!!!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I makes little sense listening to your audio from another station hundreds of mile away. Simply record your audio and listen,,or as Dan said above use Kens method. See his Utube video.
  • Cy Stanway
    Cy Stanway Member ✭✭

Don't buy a new mic. The PR40 is terrific. I experimented with the settings of other mics and found a couple that were outstanding. Make sure the bias if OFF (Radio setup - TX). When you find a mic profile you like and have tailored it like you like it, simply rename it.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Here are my TX Equalizer settings for MY Voice and MY PR40 that may help you out.

If you can find another FLEX operator that you can easily talk to and have him check and record your audio.

No one sounds like them selves hearing there own voice, it is really best to have someone who knows your voice listen and try to get the best audio that is has good mid range and not a lot of base.

In "settings" / "Radio Setup" / "TX" ENABLE "Show TX in Waterfall" on Your Transmit Spectrum display should be FLAT as possible and the Waterfall colors should show where your audio peaks are USING NORMAL speech (Say "The quick Brown fox jumped over the lazy dog") to see on your display what I'm talking about. Don't just say 444444444 or whistle into the MIC that wont give you a good indication of how your audio looks and of course sounds.

You can see from the picture below most of my base is being taken out by the EQ because that is a HUGE waist of Power down where no one can hear that low but increased in the area that fits most people can hear easily.

ALL VOICES are different so my settings will be different then yours for the PR40 BUT this is what works for me after a lot of messaging and my good friend just a couple miles away helped me find MY EQ sweet SPOT.

This provides excellent Audio reports and really packs a punch.

Processor is set to DX, MIC Gain set at 77 with the MIC plugged into the Balanced jack on either the 6700 or 6600M.

• Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭

Interesting almost the exact setting for my Heil 781. But Bob Heil did tell me that he has only a few elements that are used in all his microphones so no real surprise here.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

My settings are very similar to the above. My only caution is the boost at 4K. If the transmit bandwidth is limited to 3000 hz or so, the boost isn’t helping much and could be causing some distortion/artifacts. Most voice intelligibility frequencies are in the range of 300 to 3000 hz.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Make sure you use the Full Duplex feature of the radio to listen to yourself.

That way, you can tailor it for your liking, not someone else's

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.