Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 KPA500 RS232

Juan TG9AJR
Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

I connected my Flex 6600 to my KPA500 using the RS232 cable and both RS232 ports using the 13 pin on the back:

KPA500 = RS232 (XCVR)

FLEX 6600 = Accessory Socket

On my KPA500 the RS232 X speed is 38400

Do I need to activate something on my SmartSDR in order for them to communicate (Band / TX) ?

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2022

Hi Juan, the KPA to XCVR cable plugs into the USB socket on the back of the radio, not into the ACC socket.

The cable needs to use a genuine FTDI chip and be wired as a null modem. This is the one I got from Amazon

Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB to Serial RS232 Adapter - DB9 Serial DCE Adapter Cable with FTDI – Null Modem - USB 1.1 / 2.0 – Bus-Powered (ICUSB232FTN) : Everything Else

Once you have the correct cable and everything is plugged in, you need to configure your cable using the Settings, USB Cables menu:

If you plugged in a compatible USB cable, you will be able to edit the settings.

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Hello Len,

OK thank you very much, I will get this RS232 to USB cable.

Juan

TG9AJR

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Len, this RS232 - USB cable could go on either of the 6600 back two USB 2.0 ports ?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
  • KD0RC

Hi Juan, yes - either one. You can even add a USB hub if you have more than two cables to plug in to the radio.

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Hi Mark, thank you very much for the document.

Juan

TG9AJR

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Hi Len, thank you, don't use the USB ports for anything they are empty, will be nice to see what else I can plug in there.

• KD0RC

Hi Juan, I got your e-mail. I will post it here so that others can follow the thread.

Hello Len,

Thank you for answering my question regarding the USB cable RS232 from the Flex to the KPA500.

I did ordered the cable you suggested and is here and I following both instructions Flex USB and KPA serial communications, so I connected the USB on the Flex direct to the KPA500 and they talk.

But I notice from the image you attached that you have the USB RS232 going from the Flex to the KAT500.

I have probably the same line Flex KAT500 KPA500.

Do I need only one USB RS232 perhaps from the Flex to the KAT500 and from there to the KPA500 ?

No, you need one USB/RS232 cable from the KPA500 to the Flex, and one from the KAT500 to the Flex. There is an additional (optional) cable from the KPA500 to your computer. I use this one to control the amp from DDUtil.

My example above shows that the KAT500 cable is greyed out because it is not plugged in right now. I originally plugged the KAT500 into the Flex so that it would follow the frequency of the radio and adjust itself automatically. This works really well when you are in the shack. I now have the KAT500 plugged into my computer so that it will work more easily when I am remote.

For remote operations, I plug the KAT500 into a local laptop and run DDUtil so that I have access to the buttons and status information from the tuner using TeamViewer. Using it this way, the KAT500 follows the Flex frequency and I can control it using DDUtil from my remote location.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

One thing to watch out for when connecting more than one USB Device like the USB to RS-232 adapters direct to the FLEX you may want to connect a in line GOOD quality Powered USB Switch so your not drawing voltage from the Radio's 5 Volt source to run all the hardware you may want to run, The radio will shut down if the 5V is over loaded and could damage the radio.

There are some very good USB3 8 port Switch's on Amazon and eBay that run off of 12V so you can run it off of your station Power Supply the Radio is on.

• Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭

Thank you Len for your reply to my email, so one for each in case I still need to run the KAT.

Thank you Bret for the USB suggestion. Mike VA3MW posted before on this thread the SmartSDR USB Interface Cable Guide and in that document Flex recommends one option a D-Link 7 port USB 2.0 but has not been available on Amazon in a long time and I can't find new.

Could it be any (reputable brand) USB 2.0 or 3.0 Powered USB Switch ?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Yes, and good quality powered USB hub will be fine.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.