Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ARRL International Digital Contest Setup?

W2ECK
W2ECK Member ✭✭
edited June 2022 in Contesting

Question regarding the June 4 Digi contest setup. I normally use Slicemaster with my 6600 to run WSJTX and that all works fine.

In the rttydigital groups io there was a link to: https://www.rttycontesting.com/tutorials/n1mm/operating-ww-digi-with-n1mm/#configuringn1mm

This is a good walk thru of the setup of N1MM+ and WSJTX that creates the "new" separate instance WSJT-X-ForEW1.

So going thru that setup all is fine till I get to Test CAT and am getting a rig failure. I used the same Radio parameters that Slicemaster inserts in WSJTX settings.

So my question is has anyone got a 6000 setup and working with N1MM+ for the Digi contest that can share some advice? Can one get this setup working without Slicemaster?

73 Paul w2eck

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

I am set up and have run WSJT-X with N1MM+ in SO2R with using Flex 6xxx settings. No need for DX Labs Commander.

Create two CAT virtual com ports for N1MM+ radios 1 and 2 (I use Com 10 and 11)

Once N1MM+ is configured, make sure WSJT-X is shut down. In each N1MM+ call entry window type FT8 and hit enter. It will launch an instance of WSJT-X for that slice, properly configured. inWSJT-X, make sure to go to settings/advanced and select special then International Digi contest and click OK

Here's some screenshots of settings.

N1MM+ Radio

Radio 1

Radio 2

N1MM+ WSJT-X tab

To start FT8

SmartSDR

And working desktop, ready to go

Dave wo2x

Answers

• Ron Koenig
    Ron Koenig Member ✭✭

For SO1R

For SO2R, ONLY add the Network IP to the Second Radio (EW2)

Your Install directory for Path to WSJTX will likely vary...

Under the WSJTX Soundcard tab make sure DAX TX is selected, and the same DAX RX you have selected in your flag(s)

If you feel the need to use Split, AFTER everything is working correctly change it to Fake It.

If you need to change the COM Port set it to DTR, change the port then change it back to CAT

Ron, WV4P

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭

I can't get it to run with DX Lab Suite Commander. I use Flex 6xxx series and it seems to work but I haven't used it in a contest yet.

John N1JM

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

To use with n1mm you have to use DXLABS commander

this helped me

Did you make the changes to WSJT-X settings after opening WSJT-X from inside N1MM+? Changes you make in WSJT-X while it is being run stand-alone have no effect on the way it operates from inside N1MM+, and vice versa. Have you followed the instructions at 

<https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-windows/wsjt-x-decode-list-window/>? See the "Setup checklist" section for a brief summary of the steps.

https://www.rttycontesting.com/tutorials/n1mm/operating-ww-digi-with-n1mm/

73 Paul W2ECK

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭

Thanks Paul. There was a couple of things I didn't have checked or set correctly. All seems good now. DXLabs for radio works now. I'm making contacts now on 14080. This will be the first time I have used FT8/4 in a contest with N1MM+. I'll see how it goes tomorrow :-).

John N1JM

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

John

One ohter thing that I had wrong was not having clicked DAX --"ON" in the SSDR radio panel. Radio was getting PTT signal from N1MM and I had red Tx light, but i wasn't getting any power out. Not sure how DAX got turned off but once it was on, I was getting power out just fine.

73 Paul

• David Decoons, wo2x

Understand with N1MM+ and FT8 contest mode - all operation is done from the WSJT-X window. After all programs are set up, N1MM just acts as a conduit between WSJT-X for logging and selecting bands/modes.

Do not select band from N1MM or enter callsign in N1MM.

You can also go in settings in WSJT-X under reporting and check automatically log contact (contest only).

Dave wo2x

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Dave

VERY helpful! Especially all the screen shots. Those really are helpful and I am sure many others will appreciate them.

73 Paul w2eck

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Dave

Thanks for the tip on logging

73 Paul w2eck

• David Decoons, wo2x

You’re welcome!

Went to get on the contest from out on the deck with my Dell XPS laptop and it will not sync time using either windows time or Dimension 4 so lost first three hours of contest. Taking a break for a nap. Sitting at 203 contacts and 2037 points.

main PC is working fine. Considered SO2R but decided to SoAB low power.

73 and look for me on the bands!

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.