Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Are the various processing algorithms implemented in the radio or the client?

Are the various algorithms like the speech processor, DSP noise reduction, etc. implemented in the radio itself or on the client side? In other words, do we get the same W9GR Controlled Envelope Single Sideband (CESSB) peak limiting algorithm regardless of client used to connect to the radio? Are there any significant differences in ability between the Mac version and Windows?

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Joe, For the 6000 series radios, it is all implemented in the radio itself. Flex uses a "thin client" architecture which reduces the strain on the client computer considerably.

I haven't used the Mac version, but both the Mac and Windows versions use exactly the same API to access the radio's features. This is the same API available to anyone who wants to write software or interface other hardware to a 6000 series Flex radio.

Answers

• Joe K7KCE
    Joe K7KCE Member ✭✭
    Fantastic, thank you for the detailed answer. That is exactly what I was hoping was the case.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, this can be a tough concept for some new to the 6000 architecture. Many expect the feature set to be totally baked in, and disgruntled at using additional software to add features. There is also misunderstanding of the effect of SmartSDR controls and what they really do. I avoided previous flex models because I didn’t like the architecture and the big pipe required between the radio and the client.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Good answer Len

Yes, all the heavy work is down in the physical radio.

Other SDR designs depend heavily on the PC being 1/2 the radio. This is a major differentiator.