Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Suddenly no WAN access via Smartlink

After a couple of weeks where I and a ham friend were able to connect to my new 6400 via WAN, we are no longer able to connect. The radio is listed as available but no connect. LAN access is working fine. Ideas ?

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Andrew, Can you give some more detail on what you have and how you are accessing it? Things like software and version, platform (PC, Maestro, mac, iPhone, etc), SmartLink or VPN. What router are you using?

The first thing to check is anything that may have changed since the last time it worked, particularly any networking equipment or software.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

Accessing via a Win 10 PC and also tried using Iphone 13 iOS app, both previously worked . Using a 6400 , not an 'M'. No VPN involved. No changes to the network that I performed (or anyone else ) . 3.3.29 is the version of SmartSDR .

Andy

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

If you haven't already rebooted the radio, you might give that a try. If that doesn't work, export your profiles and try a factory reset.

If those things don't help, then the issue is likely with your network. Depending on who your network provider is, things may have changed without your knowledge. Let us know who your internet provider is and what router you have,

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

When this happens, something changed in your network.

Usually, power cycling the modem, router and radio at the same time resolves it.

If that doesn't you'll have to dig under the covers a bit.

This video explains it.

• Andrew O'Brien

Thanks, rebooting the router has helped . I'll now watch the video since the network info displayed in SmartSDR jumps around from poor-fair-good whereas it used to rarely drop below "good". I'm using Wifi access on my LAN and speed tests are around 250 MBPS down and 20 up. We did do some tests this afternoon and found that a remote user that could not connect if I was simultaneously using the LAN .

Andy K3UK

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

If all is well with the network, the remote user should be able to connect with or without a local user logged on.

• Andrew O'Brien

Thanks

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Andrew O'Brien

Sadly, you are going to find that there is a big difference between a speed test and constantly streaming data. Or, maybe you did. :)

In my house we moved everything off WiFi that streamed video where we could. All Apple TVs, etc are now hard wired. It wasn't easy to do but it was worth the effort.

Our reliance on Wifi is starting to be like the packed interstate that isn't moving anywhere. (Here in Toront it is called be stuck on the Don Valley Parkway (parking lot)).

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Another possibility is additional WiFi load somewhere, either in your home or even a neighbor. All the WiFi channels are shared with everyone to some extent. One of the tips I got from mike to use power wiring Ethernet adapters to assist with converting to wired connections. Mine are TPLINK that carry’ the Ethernet from the router to the shack at the other end of the house.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.