Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I am new to the FlexRadio community, looking for what logging software is suggested.

I am looking for a logger software recommendation. Free is not a key driver but I don't exclude them either. N1MM, N3FJP, or others?

Best Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

For everyday operating, I highly recommend DXLab. It is complete suite of programs, is free and the customer support is the best anywhere. The author is always available to answer questions on the reflector. It is complex and does have a learning curve, but you will never outgrow it.

For contesting, N1MM+ is the most popular, however for many years I have used WriteLog. Great contest logger, costs $30 per year.

My 2 cents...

73, Craig KØCF

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Scott, It is a really personal decision. I like ACLog by N3FJP, but there are many many choices - including one that will fill your needs. I suggest finding several that you can try for no cost, then make your decision based on what works best for you.

I don't do any serious contesting, but I do enjoy jumping in now and again. ACLog has separate logs available to accommodate most contests, making it much easier to enter the data. When I finish the contest, I can submit my log, then import those contacts into my main log so that I have everything in one spot. It is the best of both worlds, separate logs for each contest and all contacts in one spot for QSL purposes.

Another nice thing about ACLog is that it interfaces to Flex 6000 series radios using the Flex API - very plug and play.

Answers

• sas053
    sas053 Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Craig:\nthanks for getting back to me. I am not a contester but just starting to do more HF with the Flex Radio (which is a great piece of equipment) . I have gotten my LoTW set up but pretty much got brick walled at this point. I want to get the maximum use of the Flex Radio with logging software. \n73,\nKC9TTF\nScott \n"}]
  • KT5N  Jeff
    KT5N Jeff Member ✭✭

I got active in amateur radio last year after much time away. I have found Log4OM to be very good for my purposes. I have been mostly on FT8 and Log4OM connects to the various communication ports to allow 'automatic' logging of contacts (in quotes because clicking to verify is required by WSTJ-X). Log4OM connects and uploads to LOTW and QRZ.com automatically and includes spots (which can be displayed on the Flex screen using FR stack. And it's free (though you can donate if you value it).

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I too use AC Log for daily logging and N1MM+ for contests.

Dave wo2x

• sas053
    sas053 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, everyone for your time and help with logger software.
  • sas053
    sas053 Member ✭✭

Just a follow up to my logging software questions. Thanks for all of the suggestions, ideas and opinions. It was very helpful with making a well informed decision. I tried TQSL and got it to work but decided it was too much typing. I decided on N3FJP and I have had good results thus far.

I'm still wanting to get the most out of my Flex6400 and software tools.

73's

KC9TTF

Scott (Middleton, WI)

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Not logging, but very useful is the free download FRstack. I don’t operate without it.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I use DXLabs, DX keeper program it works we'll as most other Logging software does with the Flex Radio's SmartSDR, I haven't had any problems thus far over many years of operation.

The FLEX Logger Program works okay and is simple to set up but hasn't been updated in quite a while.

A lot of people use N1MM and Log4OM for more contesting type operation.

Be careful with 3rd party programs that send control commands to the Radio as they can cause you a lot of frustration getting to know the radio and trouble shooting problems that aren't even the Radio's SmartSDR Fault.

this is just my 2cents

• sas053
    sas053 Member ✭✭

Very good Advice, I don't contest, yet, but might in the future. I just want to get the most out of my 6400. Right not I just don't know what that is.

KC9TTF

Scott

• KD0RC

Contesting can be intimidating. Most contests are too intense for me, so I usually jump in from time to time and make a few contacts. When it gets tiring or I just want to relax, I move to a non-contest band or mode and resume casual operation.

The various state QSO parties are a good way to get contesting experience without so much intensity. I also like the North America QSO Party (NAQP). Field Day and Winter Field Day are also great for getting into contesting. There are lots of participants who, like me, are not "contesters" most of the time. It means that the pace is usually a little more relaxed and you can find CW speeds below 30 WPM.

The Field Day events are a great time to hook up with a club station so that you can get your feet wet and get some good guidance from seasoned contesters.

Here is a link to the WA7BNM contest calendar. I use this to decide which, if any, contests I will participate in. I usually peruse it on Thursdays to see if there is something I would like to try. Then I download the appropriate contest log from N3FJP (I bought the full use license to give me all available logs). As long as I am having fun, I keep going.

WA7BNM Contest Calendar: Home

So give it a shot, but don't burn yourself out when starting off.

• sas053
    sas053 Member ✭✭

Len:

Thanks again for the help. I won N3FJP at a ham swapfest a couple of years ago. I just recently opened it and have got it activated and running with LoTW. I am not planning to become a contester but I have started doing some of the POTA stations. Especially on weekdays when the traffic is lite.

My learning curve is going ok with the FlexRadio but I get reports that I am over modulating but my carrier is strong. I also am just starting to learn and use profiles.

Thanks,

Scott

• KD0RC

Hi Scott,

That is usually caused by overdriving. Set the Mic gain so that voice peaks do not go higher than about -5 dB. If that is not the issue, then you might be getting RF into your audio. I had that issue on 40 meters and had to put a ferrite on my key line. Note that any line into the radio can conduct RF in, so don't just look at the mic line.

• sas053
    sas053 Member ✭✭

Len:

I'll be doing some RF hunting this week.

thanks,

Scott,KC9TTF

• N4VGE
    N4VGE Member ✭✭

N3LJP is my favorite after trying several others.

I use it live at the POTA activation so I don't have to log my contacts later. When I finish an activation it only takes about 5 minutes, if that, to create ADI files, send them to the coordinator and upload them to QRZ.

Van N4VGE

• sas053
    sas053 Member ✭✭

Thanks for your information.

• sas053
    sas053 Member ✭✭

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.