Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

bootup ok but no profile or persistence on screen

I have a new 6400M, just a couple months old. It failed during the update to 3.3.29 so Flex sent me a new SD card. Installed it and things were pretty good, for a time.

Now when I turn on the radio it boots directly to the screen for operating, does not ask for version or anything, just goes directly to operating screen. It shows the panadapter, waterfall and meters. But there is no frequency or power displayed and no rcvr audio, I must recall a profile to get it to work. The panadapter shows the band that I was on when I turned off the radio but there is no frequency displayed. And there is no rcvr audio.

As soon as I recall a profile then the frequency and power show on the screen and things work ok, and there is receiver audio. Then the radio works well.

This is not a big problem but it should be mentioned in case others have this problem then it may be a problem in the software. I don't usually turn off the radio but the last few nights we have had thunderstorms so I turned it off and unplugged the antenna coax, thus I noted the strange bootup behavior.

Fred, K0FG

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Fred, when you shut off your radio, do you just shut off the power supply. or do you use the front panel button?

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

I always use the timing guidelines as set forth by Flex, and then some. So I turn off the radio, wait 3-4 minutes and then unplug the PP connector. When I come to the shack I plug in the PP connector, wait 3-4 minutes and then turn on the radio. I'm trying to do this correctly cuz I really want to learn to love this radio.

Fred, K0FG

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

HI Fred, the only time that you need to do the unplugging part is when doing a factory reset or "cold" reboot (as when upgrading). Otherwise, you just push the power button and wait before turning off the power supply.

In lieu of loading a profile, you can create a slice. Now that band will have a slice associated with it, and next time you start the radio, it should be visible.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@K0FG_Fred

I am not in front of an M model radio at the moment, but off the top of my head, try this:

• Menu
    • Radio
    • Change versions
    • In the next Window, I think, you will see a Gear Symbol -- look for that and see if you have "AutoConnect to Last radio turned on" (or something similar to that.

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

The auto connect to last radio was enabled.

My radio came to me with several older versions of software installed. Since we cannot go from 3.3.29 back to an older version should we delete those older versions from the radio and from the PC? I would hate to accidently start an older software version and brick the radio.

I don't usually turn my radio off. If I will be gone for longer than just overnight then I usually turn it off. Only time I unplug the power supply is for a prolonged absence from the shack or for severe weather.

Fred, K0FG

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Fred

Only 1 version of the software is installed. What you are seeing is the last few versions of the software available which gives the operator a chance to roll back if they wish. The software is then downloaded to the radio. There is nothing to delete.

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

Mike,

Fred seems to be under the impression that you cannot go back to an earlier version. Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is, to the best of my knowledge, not correct -- downgrading to earlier versions works exactly like upgrading and may be done freely.

73, Craig KØCF

• Mike-VA3MW

Hi Craig

You can downgrade if you wish, but if you do there are a few basic steps you need to folllowing.

• Downgrade the software
    • Power off the radio
    • Power up the radio and do a reset to clear out any 'persistance' settings
    • Manually rebuild and profiles you use.

You can't reliably import higher-level profiles as the results can be unpredictable.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.