Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Straight key connection

Tore
Tore Member ✭✭
Ofc it is well known that the manual has a typo on the manual. Connecting a straight key needs connection between ring and sleeve not tip and sleeve as manual say. Although it would be preferable to have between tip and sleeve as the manual say since the radio and all other radios have this. I am in the process of creating a keyboard keying software and are using a standard cable that can be bought on ebay. This cable uses standard tip and sleeve. Because of that I need to have a cable in between that switches between tip and ring. I hope flex is aware of this. To me it feels like it is incorrect in the maestro and not in the manual
73 de Tore SM6NCS

Comments

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

i haven’t checked the manual, but I didn’t do anything special to make my keys work with the flex.

if you didn’t want to build a cable this, I think, would accomplish your goal:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E2XZYC/

• Tore
    Tore Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I have changed the cable so I KNOW the manual is incorrect it is sleeve and ring not as the manual say. Cables bought that for example work with n1mm use tip and sleeve. My keyer is working with my conversion between this cable and the maestro if connected directly to the radio instead the converting cable bit is not needed so the radio itself uses tip and sleeve not ring and sleeve like the maestro is
  • Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

Maybe I did some “swap dit/dah” settings in the Maestro. Odd that such a simple convention would be wrong in the manual.

GL!!!

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Also odd that the Maestro and the 6000 series radios would require different wiring for straight key plugs.

• Tore
    Tore Member ✭✭
    This is only for the straight key the manual is correct for the manipulator pat so the dit and dah is on the right place.
  • Tore
    Tore Member ✭✭
    well neil if you have a maestro simple just try it
  • Mike J
    Mike J Member ✭✭

No mater how I connect the ring/tip/sleave, I can not get a straight key to work. Unless there is a setting in the radio, no matter if you connected to the tip/sleave or ring/sleave it would be dot dot dot or dash dash dash. Draw it out as a simple schematic proves it out. I have a 6400M and can not get my straight key to work.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

You have to turn Iambic off as well in the keyer menu.

It should be Tip and Ring only on the M model.

• Mike J
    Mike J Member ✭✭

Iambic is DISABLED

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Have you checked the wiring diagram in the 6400M/6600M manual?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I just tested this with an straight actual key on my 6600M.

Key was wired Tip and Ground on a Stereo Minature connector.

If you have done all that, and it still doesn't work please open a support ticket.

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

FWIW.... I did a test and found Straight Key "tip and ground" wiring seems to on my Maestro and 6400.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.