Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hooking AG, PGXL, TGXL on radio other then Flex and ethernet connection

I hope to soon have the Antenna Genius, to add to my PGXL and the TGXL when it gets here. I know there will be no problems with it hooked to the Flex 6600M and going through an Ethernet connection, but I would like to use the B side to connect to an 890 Kenwood.

From what I can tell I could use the DB 9 to connect to the PGXL to send it (TXd, RXd, GND) and come out of that same connection and send the TGXL (RXd and GND) signals, and daisy chained with the RCA for PTT.

My question is there a way to go to the AG without using a RS232 to BCD convertor such as the b2bcd-band-to-bcd-decoder. From what I can tell that might be the only way to connect it since it is not Ethernet, and does not put out BCD signals, just the RS-232 signals.

Any help would be appreciated, I would like to start making some cables up.

Jeff

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Jeff

I would recommend you email 403A regarding this at support@4o3a.com and ask them for their recommendation. They do not monitor the forum.

Mike

• Jeff WB4TT
    Jeff WB4TT Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike, I have done such, and think they are scratching their heads, and are trying to figure out what can be done.

I will let you know if this can be done or not, otherwise there are going to be people using a Kenwood, or Icom that will not be happy.

Jeff

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I have not tested but in the Antenna Genius setup there is a setting in Device Configuration called GSD, which is supposed to allow the switch to listen for communications from other Genius series devices for band info. I sent an e-mail to 4O3A to ask if this works.

If so, you could turn on the dip switches on the AG to enable GSD for the non-Flex radio port. Dip switches 1&2 on for port A or 3&4 on for port B. Reboot switch. In the configuration, makes sure CAT/CI-V and Flex Radio are both unchecked for that port. In the GSD box on left select proper port and enter IP of amp or tuner.

Again, I did not test this as I have been reading the manual only (3.1.4 user guide).. I will not be able to test this until later tonight or tomorrow.

Dave wo2x

• Jeff WB4TT
    Jeff WB4TT Member ✭✭

Thanks Dave, see what you come up with. Remember the Kenwood only has a RS-232 and a PTT line coming out of it, no BCD or other such controls.

Tell me what you find out, as I am working with 403A on this also.

Something so simple, and it has turned into something hard it seems

Jeff WB4TT

• David Decoons, wo2x

I tried the GSD setting tonight using the amp and tuner IPs. Neither worked. I understand 4O3A makes an interface box that has CAT and CI-V inputs which does broadcast the GSD info. If they publish the GSD protocol it would be easy to replicate. Let’s see what the 4O3A team comes up with.

I’m going to work on a Node Red solution to set proper antenna based on band info from the radio.

Tomorrow will be play day! Today was 400 mile road trip to pick up another radio. My 6600m is still the go-to radio though.

Dave wo2x

• Jeff WB4TT
    Jeff WB4TT Member ✭✭

So Dave, did you get a chance to do anymore testing today.

I have not heard anything new back from 4O3A in the last day or so. Hope they are doing some testing on their end and can find something out with the B2BCD box and that it will interface with other radios, like they say it should.

• David Decoons, wo2x

The GSD setting only works with their box that converts CAT or CI-V to GSD protocol.

I am working on a Node Red solution to take band info and be able to set proper band on AG via the network API protocol.

You could adapt it to drive a 4 relay “hat” board on a Raspberry Pi to give BCD out.

Dave wo2x

• Jeff WB4TT
    Jeff WB4TT Member ✭✭

Hey Dave, I was willing to buy one of their B2BCD boxes but that is the problem, their BCD or Pin to Pin doesn't seem to work with it, and that is what they are trying to get to work, is the Antenna Genius with that, so I am giving them some time.

Looks as though they have sold an untested product, and only works with the Nic connector at the time, which is sad,. as I had a Expert 2K that work with both fine.

73 Jeff WB4TT

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭

Hi Jeff, how did you solve the problem with integrating all devices & the TS890?

Regards

Volker

• David Decoons, wo2x

I have used the Elecraft K4D CAT (same commands as Kenwood) into Node Red, then sent the CAT out to thebPG XL and TG XL.

In Node Red I did a frequency to band function, then used the band data to send proper band info to AG using the AG API. Node Red runs on a Raspberry Pi on my network.

This allows automatic antenna selection based on band without need for BCD or pin to band cabling.

Dave wo2x

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭

Hi Dave, can you share the flow? How do you connect the K4? Just USB to Reaspberry and use it as an inout device to distribute the Band Data? Are you also using the AG?

Thanks

Volker

• David Decoons, wo2x

Hi Volker

I have to dig up the flows as the K4D is at a contest station south of me now.

K4 to network via Ethernet. A flow for K4.

Raspberry Pi running Node Red server with two USB to serial cables to TG XL and PG XL.

AG to network via Ethernet.

Node Red takes frequency from K4 via network, formats it to Kenwood CAT and sends to amp and tuner. Node Red also takes the K4 frequency and uses a frequency to band function, which sends the band info to the AG using the AG application programming interface (API) commands over network.

Email me direct. My e-mail is good on QRZ.

73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.