Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SO2R with ICOM 7610

Options

Does anyone have any experience(s) interfacing the 7610 to the PGXL. If so I would like to hear them? I have a unique requirement to locate the 7610 30-40 feet from the amp therefore a plain cable connection would not be adequate. Need to convert the signaling from and back to CI-V with an interim transport protocol between the two ports. Any brainstorms I would like to hear them.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I do not have any experience, however I can share the following things I would be worried about.

I am not sure the 7610 can do full SO2R (maybe SO2V), but I would also like to hear from others.

Icom's CI-V signalling works, but it is not as rock solid as it should be and is subject to data collisions that can result in loss of information between the radio and the amp. You will also have to check and make sure what the functional distance is for CI-V as it might have a limitation at about 10ft. You will have to test this on short runs first and them move out to longer distances. As an example RS232 has a design spec of about 10 ft, but we can often run it much longer.

If there is a CI-V range extender, I am not aware of it.

Please share your results. :)

• W7QEX
    W7QEX Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your perspective. Yes, I have contemplated all of these aspects and planned the steps you have outlined. The 7610 uses a different method for CI-V communication thus the reason I put out a call for help. Like everything, this arrangement will not be as easy as 1,2,3. My plan would test the short distances first, and then attempt to transition into media conversion which would allow much longer distances.

As you may already know, ICOM is getting away from the CI-V protocol...so they say. If I am successful, guys with older radios will have some options perhaps. I will definitely make the results available.

Paul

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.