Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Spectrum/waterfall not running on remote Smartlink laptop

Home station - 6500 with SSDR 3.2.39 running on i7 Windows 10 PC.

Previously used an old Windows 7 laptop with SSDR 3.2.39 and SmartLink for remote with no issues.

Recently changed remote computer to a new i3 Windows 10 laptop and now my remote spectrum and waterfall do not run. By grabbing the remote SSDR window (right or left side) and wiggling back and forwards I can update the static spectrum and waterfall but they always freeze again after that.

Windows Defender off on both computers. All other remote functions are normal.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,
Barry GM3YEH.

Best Answer

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Can you share a screen shot?

In SmartSDR / Display settings, you may want to have a look at your Gain settings.

• Barry GM3YEH
    Barry GM3YEH Member ✭✭
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for responding. Not sure how I can attach a screenshot filecan't see an option to do that.

Other than the spectrum and waterfall not running, the SSDR window looks normal but frozen. I get momentary updates on both when I wiggle the right or left of the window. When I also run N1MM+, it's Spectrum Window displays perfectly.

73 Barry GM3YEH.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2022

If you use a tool such as the Snipping Tool built into Windows, you should be able to paste it right into the window you are typing in.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-screenshot-on-windows

I am not sure what you mean by wiggle the window. Sorry. Did you check your Display Settings?

If you are not able to figure it out, please open a support ticket.

• Barry GM3YEH
    Barry GM3YEH Member ✭✭
    Thanks Mike. Remote screenshot attached.

The momentary refresh/update of the spectrum and waterfall happen when I take my pointer to either side of the SSDR window as if I'm going to resize the window. Grabbing to resize and then wiggling the window edge back and forth gives the momentary spectrum and waterfall updates. It's like getting a series of still shots.

Checked the display settings including lowering FPS and Rate. All are normal and the same as I used on the old Windows 7 remote laptop.

73 Barry GM3YEH.
  • Mike-VA3MW

Hi Barry

Is that a VPN connection or a SmartLink connection? It should show SmartLink in the bottom right.

Mike

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2022

Oh, that is a Remote Screen you are looking at?

What is happening is if that is a Remote Desktop Connection, each screen update is sent at a BitMap to the user. My guess is that you are consuming your upload bandwidth since you are getting a full screen sent multiple times a second. Since SmartSDR does thousands of screen updates each second, it consumes bandwidth.

You can test this by trying something else like TeamViewer or Anydesk, it might work better.

If this is what you are using, the issue is with the remote desktop solution.

I can cause this same effect if I use CW Skimmer on a remote desktop.

If you run SmartSDR locally to your operating position, the experience will be better. SmartLink is designed to do this and give you a better experience.

• Barry GM3YEH
    Barry GM3YEH Member ✭✭

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. No problems of any kind when running SSDR 3.2.39 locally in the main shack.

The main thing that is puzzling me is that I previously used an old Windows 7 laptop with SSDR 3.2.39 and SmartLink for remote with no issues. After upgrading to my new Windows 10 laptop, also with SSDR 3.2.39 for remote (everything else exactly the same), I now have this 'frozen' spectrum/waterfall issue.

I've checked my old Windows 7 laptop again as a test and it still works fine with the spectrum/waterfall running normally when remote.

73 Barry GM3YEH.

• Mike-VA3MW

Barry

I would open a support ticket. That sounds like a video driver issue.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.