Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New 6600 owner/Maestro Needed

Options
PaulB
PaulB Member ✭✭
Hello!
I just purchased a brand spakin' new 6600 (ouch). One of the reasons I went flex was for the excellent remote opportunity. I am currently deployed with the U.S. Army in Africa for 9 months, and would love to operate my radio remotely, but by the time they have the Maestro in stock, my trip will be done. If ANYONE has a Maestro B they were even possibly thinking about selling (maybe because you have a 6600B and want the new Maestro when it comes out) then please drop me a line. I'd be willing to pay full price for a B model now. Thank you.
Paul B
N7JDI

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Paul, congratulations on your new 6600!

If you have a PC or Mac computer, you can operate remotely without the Maestro. You would use SmartLink to make the connection over the Internet.

• PaulB
    PaulB Member ✭✭
    Options
    That's not my goal, Len. I want to operate CW, and need that interface and all the buffering, etc. But yes, I am familiar with that process. Thanks for the response!
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

HI Paul, if you don't come up with a Maestro in the short term, you can build a very simple interface to allow remote CW keying. You will need an external keyer (or at least a side-tone generator and a straight-key), but it works pretty well. Here is a link to the Remote Keyer Interface IO group if you are interested in giving it a try:

RemoteKeyerInterface@groups.io | Topics

• PaulB
    PaulB Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Len. Looks like a cool project. Problem is, I'm deployed military and do not have access to my bench and all my tools :( Another issue I have that the Maestro deals with quite will is latency. We have about a 300ms delay from here to my QTH, and dropped packets now and then. Flex does a good job filling those packets after a delay buffer.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Paul

You can use an Ipad, PC or Macbook remotely if you like. Same features.

Mike

• PaulB
    PaulB Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Mike....but my goal for the Maestro was to take advantage of the I/O and for CW operations. I really like the way the system can buffer the CW to meet the needs of my substandard internet connection from 10,000 miles away ;)
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Paul

You can do that with CW on a PC with the use of a USB WinKeyer and a helper application on the PC called WKFlex.

• PaulB
    PaulB Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Mike! Any suggestions on which winkeyer to get? They make the mini and the standard, but I really need something travel related. I saw you mention one on your desk in a video (that was blue and pretty small I believe) Would this be a winkeyer emulator that would work, and where did you get it?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Options

I would talk to the WKFlex author.