Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M Slice Receiver / XMIT enable

I have a friend who has a 6400M radio. He tells me that when he boots the radio up the A Slice Receiver and XMIT button are white (not enabled). Pressing the buttons enables the A receiver and xmit. I looked on line for the 6400M hardware reference manual but did not find it. Is there any persistence that might be saving the state of the radio and restoring it with the A slice disabled? That would be the only thing I could think of that might cause this issue.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Mick  W8BE
    Mick W8BE Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks Mike, I opened a help desk ticket last Friday and on Saturday Tim advised about the power up/down procedures. I queried my friend and he advised he never waits 2 minutes after radio power down before turning off the dc supply. We tried that yesterday and when we booted backup it looked like the M screen processor did not initialize correctly. We shut the radio down and restarted again according to procedure and it came back up correctly. He is going to see if it acts up anymore and if so open a help desk ticket (per Tim's advice). Just to give you some background this gentlemen is 95 years old and is a WWII veteran. He knows rf inside and out but computers are not his wheelhouse. I suspected it was an operating issue but I did not know about the power down procedure. I should have thought of that because 2 minute to dc off is what I do on my 6600.

Regards

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

Doing a Google search on "flexradio 6400m manual" results in the User Guide being the first hit on the list.

It can also be found from the FlexRadio home page. At the top of the page is a menu bar - clicking on "Support" opens a sub-menu with the first choice being "Documentation." From there it is fairly easy to find the desired manual. They are ALL there.

73, Craig KØCF

• Mick  W8BE
    Mick W8BE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022

Craig, I am looking for the 6400m hardware reference manual. I found the user manual. I typed in 6400m hardware and only got software release info back from the search. I don't think a hardware reference manual exists for the 6400m like it used to. I perused the user guide and read through persistence and saw nothing about the slice enable buttons. I was hoping the hardware reference guide might have more. So the question still exists is there any reason why the radio would boot up to the buttons being disabled when the radio was shutdown with the buttons enabled.

• Mick  W8BE
    Mick W8BE Member ✭✭

I found this....

However, this document looks like a 6400/6600 specific document. I don't see much in the way of 6400M information.

• Mick  W8BE
    Mick W8BE Member ✭✭

It may say 6400M but a quick search of the word 6400m only has 1 hit....

There is no other info.

• Mick  W8BE
    Mick W8BE Member ✭✭

So I see the thread is shown as answered. I did not indicate as such. Not sure how that happened. I guess I will have reach out to Flex directly to get an answer.

Regards

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

HI Mick, the web site answered response just means that someone responded. It is just how this web package works.

When your friend powers off the radio, does he use the front panel button, or just pull the DC power? The M version of the radio wants to be shut off using the button (or Remote ON input), then wait for a minute or two for all of the operating system stuff to finish up in the M portion before shutting off the power supply.

If that is not it, then I would suggest submitting a help desk ticket.

• Mick  W8BE
    Mick W8BE Member ✭✭

Thanks for the clarification Len,

He shuts down the radio with the power button on the front panel. I will query him to verify..

Regards

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Make sure he is following this procedure:

M Model Power down and up

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.