Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Touch screen on Tuner Genius

Doug
Doug Member ✭✭

I received my new tuner yesterday and according to the specs it is suppose to have a touch screen. Mine doesn't or doesn't work ? The biggest problem I am concerned about is I can't change antenna position for 1-2-3 from any control on the front of the tuner or the screen only via the software over the computer

Doug K9CRT

Best Answer

• Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Folks,

The touchscreen is currently not enabled on either the SO2R or the 1x3 TGXL version. This means you must use the TGXL Windows utility to perform manual functions that you could anticipate using the touchscreen for - switching output antenna ports on the 1x3 version and manual RX BYPASS, for example.

Please use the TGXL utility to configure the product. The band/frequency automation is very good, does not require that the utility remain connected during operation, and will minimize the need for manual intervention.

The tuner can be configured to bypass during RX, for example.

Dan, N7HQ

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

What version is the firmware in your tuner? 1.1.8 is current.

Dave wo2x

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Hello Doug,

When you first turned the tuner on did it display a blue dot on the display and did YOU touch those blue button on the display (if I remember right there are 3 positions that you need to touch).

If you didn't see the Blue dot's you may want to do a hard reset on the tuner (turn off the Tuner Power switch, Hold the Operate/Standby button in and Power up the Tuner) this should have you recalibrate the screen.

Hope that is all there is to it, Be sure to use the PC program to update the firmware to 1.1.8 as Dave said.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

Nothing helps my display choose the antenna position I have did the hard reset more than once, the firmware is 1.1.8 and I did download the firmware again. I assume the Blue dot's are the c1,L,l c2 on the screen. I have tried with my finger, a device that is made to use on touch screens etc no joy. I suppose at this time I need to submit a help ticket unless there is something else I can try but I don't have a good feeling about this issue. I have ran Flex products for 4+ years, now running the 6600M, PGXL, TGXL. This tuner is brand new 2 day received Wed 3/23/22

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

At this point I have submitted an help ticket 3/25/22 to Flex

• K5XH
    K5XH Member ✭✭

I have a TGXL (SO2R) with the latest firmware - along with a 6600 and PGXL. I have never seen any blue dots and the screen and it does not respond to any touches. Same thing with the PGXL. I asked Tim about that and he said that the touch screen (on PGXL) does nothing when used in a setup consisting of all Flex gear - only when interfacing to non-Flex stuff.

I just took a quick look at the TGXL manual. The word "blue" does not appear in the document. The word "touch" only appears in the specs list.

Doug - please let us know what Flex says in response to your ticket.

73, Mark K5XH

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

Hi Mark thank you so much for your input. Very interesting that your tuner acts the same way ! I also have the pgxl and 6600M here and I have used the touch screen on my amp but maybe only when I was running my Icom transceiver with it to change bands . I don’t see any information about the blue dots I think he is referring to the C-1 L C-2 on the tuner.

Flex has responded to my ticket & wanted a lot of information that doesn’t seem realvet to my issue like what is the serial number of my radio, what operating windows I am running but I guess we have to start somewhere! When I submitted the help ticket it wouldn’t accept my serial # which is 0308 ! I can change my antenna position only from the software and that doesn’t seem acceptable to me . Why as you say does it list a touch screen if it only works with non Flex gear in the owners manual and the brochure . I am beginning to see more & more short comings with this tuner after only having my hands on it less than 30 hours

Any way Mark we will see what Ken Wells has to say hopefully today.

Doug K9CRT

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

I don't remember reading v1.1.8 enabled touch screen functions. I own two TG-XL's with v1.1.8 on each. No blue dots, and no touch screen 1-2-3 antenna changes. I continue to use the TG-XL Utility for antenna changes.

Butch KF4HR

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

My Tuner Genius works just as all of you have described. The PGXL screen looks identical and touch screen works fine on it. I’m confident it’s just a software release away from working especially after speaking with Marko from 403a.

My Tuner Genius is the SO2R version.

Ian

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Based on Ian's post it sounds like the touch screen is functional on the SO2R verison of the TG-XL. I own the 1x3 version of the TG-XL and the touch screen does not function. I'm looking forward to the next software release.

Butch KF4HR

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

Hmmm. I have checked and the TGXL manual clearly states on page 10

4.5” (110mm) Color LCD Touchscreen Display

Maybe the manual is wrong?

Mike.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Mike - I suspect the display is capable of touch screen control but the software hasn't been fully completed for this function yet. Perhaps Mike or someone from FRS will weigh in on this.

Butch KF4HR

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

Well K5XH responded here in this thread and he has a 2x2 and it doesn’t work read his post. So I don’t think it has anything to do with the version. This is a deal breaker for me I spent all day Friday with several emails with Ken Wells and it was very apparent he didn’t have a grasp on the tuner. Finally at the end of the day he emailed for the final time and said below

Ken Wells (FlexRadio HelpDesk) 

Mar 25, 2022, 2:25 PM CDT 

Hello Doug,

I am escalating your ticket to Dan Quigley.

Unfortunately, he is out of town this weekend.

He will contact you as soon as possible.

Have a great weekend.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

One question, in the setup, do you have multiple antenna ports enabled for any bands? I have the SO2R version and only seen the 1x3 in person a couple of weeks ago. When I was at KZ2A’s QTH I am pretty sure tapping on Ant1, 2 or 3 on front panel allowed switching antennas. I didn’t spend a lot of time with the tuner since I was helping him troubleshoot an issue with his radio. I’ll probably be back to his house later this week.

Dave wo2x

• TimothyDilks
    TimothyDilks Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022

Tuner Genius SO2R running 1.18, touchscreen does nothing. Also just because the screen is touch enabled does not mean the software is. It might have been optioned to enable further functionality, especially since it is not ever mentioned in the manual.

It would be interesting to see if the screen functionality between the 1x3 and SO2R would be different.

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

Tuner Genius 1x3 running 1.1.8, to confirm, does nothing. I think Timothy is correct. We have to wait for future Utility update and see if we get the touch screen. Also what would be nice, is that on the Utility configuration screen marked "other", that we would soon be able to independently have the choice to RX BYPASS, or not, each of the three antenna ports on the 1x3. At the moment, we only have the option to select RX BYPASS, which applies to all of the three antenna outputs. This would be handy, as many times a particular antenna may or may not give better receive results straight through, as opposed to having the tuned solution applied to the signal. This is a great feature anyway as it now stands, as a traditional manual ATU sends the received signal through the ATU to the radio. You usually have to twist a knob to get the received signal to bypass the ATU, and then remember to twist it back again for transmit.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

403A are the people who write the software for the TGXL (www.403a.com). It will come from them.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.