Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tokyo HY-power 1.2

Pastor
Pastor Member ✭✭
I am new to the Flex community, just recently purchasing a Flex 6400. I have a Tokyo Hy-power 1.2k. which is not a plug play and adjust some settings like many other amplifiers.

The THP 1.2K has only the SO239 female Antenna IN & OUT , an ALC Rheostat, an RCA ALC connector and a Stby RCA connector. I read in the manual somewhere that It is not recommended to use the ALC connector for the amp.

Does anyone have some specific instructions on how I may be able to get this up and running.

Thanks
KJ6YXI

Comments

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hi... I'm in the same boat with an old ICOM IC-2KL. If anyone has any suggestions, especially around the ALC (which the ICOM manual says is 'mandatory to make the amp work') it would be much appreciated.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

For both Amps, the setup is the same and is described in the video.

You will need to look at the manual and confirm the PTT Keying Current and make sure it is low voltage such as 5 or 12V. Check section 7.17 of the Hardware Reference Manual.

https://www.flexradio.com/documentation/flex-6400-and-flex-6600-hardware-reference-manual-pdf/

You will have to manually change bands on the amplifier.

7.17 TX RELAY OUTPUTS [1,2,3]

TX1, TX2 and TX3 are outputs for keying external equipment such as amplifiers, external T/R switches, etc. They are isolated individual outputs. Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for an explanation on how to configure the timing for each output.

Δ – The TX Relay outputs are designed to handle signaling levels of up to +40 VDC @ 140 mA maximum. Some amplifiers do not have circuits to prevent keying voltage transients and older amplifiers may exceed the maximum voltage level resulting in damage to the radio if directly connected. Verify the voltage/current on your external device before connecting to TX Relay 1-3. FlexRadio highly recommends the use of a use a buffer/isolator box between the radio and the external device as a best operating practice regardless of the keying voltage.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike... much appreciated.

• Pastor
    Pastor Member ✭✭
    Hey Mike Thanks,

I had previously watched the video and attempted to set it up this way, although I find that I If I whistle or raise my audio I cause the ODrvie switch to kick in. My setting where Rf=40, Mic=40 , RCA TX1-20, Tx delay=30. I've tried adjusting mic settings and RF power with no success/ scratching head Maybe Don has better results with his.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

What does your Mic level show? That is the first meter you will need to watch.

What if the RF drive is set to 20?

If all those are 'normal' you may have an RFI issue as well.

If OverDrive is coming on the amp, then you are overdriving it.

Can you test into a dummy load? They aren't expensive so investing in a high power dummy load if you don't have one will really help to diagnose issues.

• Mike-VA3MW

Here is a great dummy load you should have (everyone with an Amp should have)

And, they have it in stock.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.