Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 11 Display Settings with 6400M and Two Monitors

Good Afternoon Flexradio community.

I have one 32" monitor connected to my computer and also one 32" connected to the back of 6400M in the Ext. Display port. Here is the issue at hand. I have 2 HDR compatible monitors and yet when I have the windows settings as Duplicate, HDR is not compatible. Yet, on Extend and Show on 1 display HDR is active. I guess the question ultimately comes down to what is the correct setting for the monitors where I can have loggers and other programs on Screen 1 and my 6400 on Screen 2 when I have the radio turned on. Other than that, when I just have the computer on and no radio on, I would like to have both screens the same if possible.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

A monitor plugged into the radio’s hdmi connector is always going to mirror the radio’s front screen, regardless of your computer activity or inactivity.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

Ok, I understand that when the radio is on. But what if the radio is not on? Then I would like to know what the best Windows 11 setting would be. Extend the displays, or just one display or duplicate the displays. That's what I would really want to know when and if the radio is off.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, assuming your computer can run two monitors, you would unplug the monitor from the hdmi socket on the radio and plug it into the second hdmi socket on the computer (or the adapter that allows a second hdmi connection).

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

So basically in a nutshell, not having the HDR capability is not a real big thing!

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

SmartSDR doesn’t support or require HDR.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Mark,

My suggestion for contesting is both monitors connected to PC. Run SmartSDR on PC. You can turn off the right side panels wen not in use by clicking the second icon from left in bottom left of SmartSDR (looks like a tower). This will help screen real estate. Also running spots on SmartSDR vs front of radio is easier to see them. Run the front of the radio in Smart Control mode so you can still use the buttons and knobs on radio.

if you have multiple panadapters you can pop them out into their own window by clicking on the arrow in upper right of panadapter window and then move each panadapter to wherever you want and minimize the main SmartSDR.

Play around setting up that way along with whatever logging program you use and you can arrange windows to have an effective work flow for contesting. That way both monitors are available for use by the PC when radio is off or if you just want to run radio from front screen.

Smart Control is one of the best features that get underutilized with the M series radios or Maestro.

Give me a call and I can demo these features.

Mike W, might be worth a video about optimizing Your desktop for a contest. Each person will have different preferences but showing the pop out feature and Smart Control would be a good tutorial for new users.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Dave

This is a good idea, but I think I will deflect watching the Contest University videos since they touch on all of that.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Additionally, running SmartSDR on the pc offers several additional tools not available on the M or Maestro. FRstack is a personal favorite with memories that are more complete than the profiles, hotkeys within frstack, a stream deck with customizable buttons, or the latest tool, node red.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

You can run FRStack, Node Red, and Stream Deck all while using the front panel of the M series. SmartSDR is not necessary for those tools.

I do like using SmartSDR and Smart Control for some contests but use the front panel for FT4/FT8, giving more screen real estate for WSJT-X, JTAlert and logging program.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.