Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does anyone have any recent information on what causes/caused CPU Fan Calibration errors

In my case, it can't be dust because it was recently unboxed, never turned on, and in a clean environment. I opened the case and found it to be clean as a whistle. So, just curious...is this an issue that has been cleared up. My Signature 6700 was one of the earlier releases that had to wait for me to come home from an overseas assignment.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

What are the symptoms? Sometimes the blinking red light that indicates a fan problem is actually a problem with the SD card.

I would submit a helpdesk ticket. If Flex determines that it is the SD card, they will send you a new one.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

The Fans are a critical device and Fan RPM is monitored to make sure it is moving the right quantity of air.

If the power control circuits see there is a concern you will get an error.

Open a support ticket and make sure you quote the version number of SmartSDR you are using.

• W7QEX
    W7QEX Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike. I'm aware of the details you've pointed out. I was just interested in how many others have had the same issue whereby dust was NOT the root cause and perhaps what the fix might have been. This radio was new, never used, never truly energized.

It will arrive for service tomorrow.

Paul

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The 6700 has four fans. Two larger case fans on either side and two smaller fans for CPU and FPGA.

The early 6700s used a model fan for cpu and FPGA that is no longer in production. When your radio is in for service Flex should change both to the new style. Since they “stick” on top of both the cpu and FPGA there is risk of damaging those components if you were to try and change them yourself. Best to let Flex do it while in for service.

I have not read of anyone having issues with the new style small fans.

if one of the small fans has an issue and not running at optimal RPM you will see an error message on front of 6700.

I do not know if there is RPM monitoring for the case fans, but have not read of issues with those.

My friend bought my limited signature series 6500 from me (the very early ones that were preordered with all the signatures of Flex employees on bottom). He has not had a failure of the case fans and he uses it daily.

Dave wo2x

• W7QEX
    W7QEX Member ✭✭

On target.....thanks for the response. I had planned to operate remotely from my assignment overseas. But the radio arrived too late for me to get familiar with it and set it up....so it sat. When I finally got home, there were a ton of things to fix so the radio continued to sit. I connected up 12VDC, but did not turn it on until a few days ago. Much to my dismay, the error popped up.

I elected to send it in rather than mess with it, mostly because I imagine there is a bunch of firmware revs and ECOs, one of which is the fan issue.

Once I get it back I can connect it up and use the Meistro that has also been sitting....in the box. Do you know if there are issues that should be addressed with the Meistro?

And what about the Power Genius...any issues there?

Paul / W7QEX

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Upgrade the PG XL firmware. Good improvements.

is it a Maestro version 1 or 2? If version 1 (power button on top) then if the Maestro sits for extended time it may need to have the tablet inside charged, which means opening it up.

There are directions in the Flex Knowledge Base.

Version 2 does not have this issue.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.