Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

memories

I set up some memories on my 6400M but they don't do what I want. When I switch bands using memories the antenna does not follow. So switching from 40m (dipole) to 20m (beam) I get the 20m freq but with the 40m antenna. Seems that the antenna should be saved with each memory. That's the way it works on my other radios. I guess I must use general profiles to switch band/antenna combinations.

Then why use memories? It is the same number of key clicks to recall a profile as to recall a memory, and the profile supplies more info to the radio.

I know I'm missing something, but what is it? Be gentle, I'm new to this Flex world and trying to learn.

Fred, K0FG

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

The manual says the memories feature, with its small number of parameters (in comparison with the profiles feature), is optimized for FM.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Fred, I agree. I have 2 profiles set for every band, one for CW and one for SSB. On two meters, I have an additional one for FM.

I have a bunch of repeaters in memory, but I have to hit the 2 meter FM profile first or I won't be on the XVTR ant. I also have some HF net frequencies in memory, and have to be sure to set the appropriate profile before I select a memory.

The addition of transmit and receive antenna in the memories would be very helpful.

I may have to write a utility to automagically select antennas upon band change. I haven't thought this through yet, but it seems pretty doable... Alan, WA9WUD, suggested a Node Red program for this purpose in response to my request for antenna parameters in the memories.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This is a good question.

This won't make sense I bet but this is the way it works.

Changing frequencies via a memory or a logging program is not the same thing (in the radio) as changing bands.

Band changes are handled via the user interface (SmartSDR, etc) when you change from 80 to 40m. Band changes follow persistence (antennas, etc)

Frequency changes do not.

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike.. I'm not sure when you said "this won't make sense." Are you referring to my understanding the situation? Or are you saying the way it works does not make sense?

When I save a memory on my K3S it saves the freq and band and mode and etc. I was expecting the same on the Flex. Guess I will just have to use general profiles.

Fred, K0FG

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I could have worded that better. :) I think what i was trying to say that 'it was confusing'.

When you save a memory, it does save the same things such as band and mode. The antenna assignment might be different.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.