Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M new owner questions

Please bear with a brand new Flex owner and a couple noob questions. So far I am just working with the front panel, will worry about ssdr later. Ver 3.2.39 is the only version on the radio since it just came from Austin.

Where is the tx bandwidth setting? Cannot find it in the front panel menu system.

When I power on the radio it goes directly to operating on slice A, in about 1 1/2 minutes. Does that seem correct?

Mostly operate CW, some with an iambic paddle and some with straight keys. If I read the manual correctly it says I can have a paddle plugged into the key jack on the back panel and also have a straight key plugged into the accessory jack. And they will both work correctly. How do I set the iambic setting? Does the iambic setting refer to only the key jack, and not to the acc plug jack?

Some say they never turn off their radios, other turn off frequently. If you leave your radio on is there a screensaver? Mine has never displayed a screensaver, do you worry about burnouts on the screen?

Been reading this site a bunch and there are good discussions and valuable info here. If not for this community I would still be searching for the power button on the radio.

Thanks,

Fred, K0FG

Comments

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hi Fred... welcome to the Flex family/community. I have a 6500 so it's not exactly the same, but I'll help as best I can. Others with a 6400M/6600M, please chime in...

a) TX bandwidth (or 'filter' as it's known on my Flex & SSDR) is found on the Phone tab, if you're talking about cut-off filters for audio.

b) Power up from dead 'off' can take a little while -- On mine, it's about 1 minute or so, so yours sounds like things are good. And yes, it will come up with Slice A, or whatever you were running when you last turned off the radio. It does have a 'persistence memory' which will attempt to bring you right back to where you left off.

c) I'm not so sure about a key in the ACC socket -- I'll have to recheck my manual, but definitely the key jack will work. The IAMBIC setting is under Settings/Radio Setup/Phione CW. I know it refers to the key jack and as I say, I don't recall anything about plugging a key into the ACC jack.

d) I leave my 'radio' on all the time, but mine doesn't have a 'screen' :-) I believe there is a screensaver of some sort, but it shouldn't really matter as screen technology used in the monitor isn't really amenable to screen burn-in.

Again, welcome to the family! Feel free to drop into the community and ask anything! We've all been through it and love helping out.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Fred

Welcome aboard. :)

There is a new user video on YouTube.

Grab the PDF on this posting and it will point you in the right direction. It compliments the user manual.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Fred, welcome to the community!

The accessory jack (pin 4 I think..) is not affected by the iambic setting. You can connect paddles to the key jack and a straight key and/or an external keyer to the acc jack and all will work as expected. In this scenario, turn iambic on.

Turn off breakin and you can experiment with the settings and keys.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Fred

Re, " Where is the tx bandwidth setting? Cannot find it in the front panel menu system"

Push the TX setting button, center, far right on the M front panel, to see the TX Menu.

Alan. WA9WUD

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

Thanks for all your help. I found the tx bandwidth setting screen. Have to push the RF PWR in the center of the screen which brings up the screen shown above.

Fred, K0FG

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

Hooked a straight key to pins 4/10 of the acc socket and it works as a straight key. Paddle is hooked into the key jack and it works in iambic mode. The info about the breakout boxes was invaluable, made it very simple. Wired a 1/8" jack to the breakout box and it's easy to change to different types of keys, sk, or bug or cootie. Great, now I can use either key without changing anything.

Also, based on info from this site, I used a stereo to mono converter and plug the Koss SB45 into the mic jack and it works well. Did not rewire anything.

I still have a problem with the touch screen when I try to type into the profile name field. Tried a stylus and my finger, often need to touch the box several times before the keyboard pops up. That seems to be the only field where I have trouble raising the keyboard.

I'm sure there will more questions. Thanks for the help.

Fred, K0FG

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

Check this out:

I’m guessing this will be sorted at the next update. Flex are pretty good at this!

Enjoy your new toy!

73 Mike.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.