Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tutorial for Smart SDR on Ios

I have purchased smart sdr for ipad and I was talking on 2meter and I am so hot it is not even funny. Audio sounds like trash. I have turned mic gain all the way down to 1 and still I am blasting in beyond belief. I am at a loss here. Ev en on HF I am crazy overdriving. Any ideas?

Flex 6400

brand new ipad pro 12.9

Smart sdr local connection

Answers

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Go into Flex Settings…Phone… is mic boost on??? If so turn it off an retry…

73 Ronald

• Scotty
    Scotty Member ✭✭

On the ios smart sdr? I am not seeing it

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
  • RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭

Start the program…at the bottom you should see several tabs…Panadapter…Flex Radio Settings… Tools

Select Flex Radio settings… then Phone

Ronald

• Scotty
    Scotty Member ✭✭

Ahhh yes I see it now, did not see that there are 2 settings tabs. Guess I should open my eyes more. One more question. Is there a way to make it not disconnect every time I click off screen or change settings like tx settings? It clicks off screen and disconnects every time. I will also have to learn battery settings for power savings as this is gobbling my battery on ipad.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Yes

I don't have it in front of me, but take a scan of the iOS manual and you'll find it.

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭

Not sure what you are running into on the disconnects....mine is working as it should. Yea I know that does not help you...I'm just not sure what you are referring to. Concerning the battery life...checking you screen brightness and other IPad settings. You can also bring up the Panadapter and go into the left side menu...go down to Display...you can change the Average and Rate which may help.

Also under settings you will find "Show Demo Device"...if you have not looked at this it may answer some of your questions. Also at the bottom of that screen you will find the link for the "Manual". Very easy to understand and will provide some context to some of your questions. I hope this helps...

Ronald

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

when you first bring up SmartSDR IOS at the bottom right click on settings, slide "Ask before disconnect" to ON and "Disconnect on close" slider off.

Hope it helps

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

FWIW, seems most iOS users overdrive the audio at first, me included. It seems pretty weird to have to adjust two mic level controls to get acceptable audio.

• Mike-VA3MW

Funny thing about Audio.

All my Yaesus had the audio drive set to 50, yet when set correctly with the hand Mic that comes with the radio, somewhere below 10 is the correct setting.

Same on the IC-7300 I use for some testing. The default Mic audio was way way too high. Again, I think it was 50 and 9 was the correct number for me.

The moral of the story is, regardless of the Mic audio setting number, as the Ham in control of your transmitter you have to use the Metering the radio has to ensure you Mic gain is set accurately.

For FlexRadios, it is the LEVEL meter with peaks no more than -5db

For OEM radios, it is the Mic ALC meter (they all have them). It should be just 'kicking' with the processors off.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.