Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Use of DIGU and USB

As I do allot of digital messaging and voice combinations I am finding there is a need for some changes to allow for quality digital communications and still have the ability to utilize voice without constantly changing modes.

To clarify... I must use USB and the Processor and Equalizer to have quality audio for others to hear, this also creates more power output so others have a higher signal strength and audio quality.

When I utilize the DIGU my audio quality is cut way down as well as the received signal strength. This said my digital signals do not get altered by the Processing or Equalization as they are disabled, unlike when using USB mode.

I hope this makes sense. Is there anyway to make the DAX bypass all processing and the equalizer as it does not seem to at this point.

r/

Glenn

Comments

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

Glenn, I am assuming you have your microphone connected direct to the radio and not via a USB computer microphone and other 3rd party app for voice. That said, your Digital program uses DAX. If you are looking at power levels on TX, or audio levels on RX, those can be controlled by the sliders on the DAX panel. Increase the TX Stream slider and your power will go up. Some digital programs like WSJT-X also have a audio (labelled Power) level slider.

Bill, NE1B

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

Yes, I am running the 6600 and microphone is connected into the BAL IN. Voice is not a third party App, it is direct via radio. The Digital messaging programs are 3rd party, yes. My DAX is set how it needs to be for the software, that works fine, no issues.

The issue is IF I use USB the DAX audio is sent through the Processing and Equalizer like my voice is, thus altering the output in the same manner. When I use the DIGU it is not and get a clean pure digital signal. I am not using narrow digital modes like WSJT, those you would never see any changes as they are so narrow. I am using modes that are much wider and require clean output which is only achieved using the DIGU as the USB mode provides the added processing and equalization which I need for my voice quality/signal.

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

Your voice levels and equalization are not affected by the DAX slider adjustment. DAX is only used for your Digital apps. It does provide a clean output to the bandwidth that you specify. I think you are saying that the power output level is not as high as your compressed/equalized voice. The DIGU level output is controlled on the DAX panel TX Streaming and the 3rd party app.

73, Bill

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

My issue is anything that is sending audio such as my digital messaging program modem is affected by the "PROC" Processor and the Equalizer when using USB.

I fully understand bandwidth, the Level adjustments in the DAX, etc. this/these are not the issue. The issue is that the only way to get clean, unaltered digital signal output is to use the DIGU because USB sends DAX Audio through processing and equalizer if turned on/enabled. Well I use both when I am using Voice, and do not want to have to click buttons and make changes just because I switch back and forth during nets. This wastes time and creates opportunity to make a mistake and either not turn something on or off, etc. DAX should completely bypass any processing or equalization, should be a **** signal reaching the output of the radio.

AS to the "I think you are saying that the power output level is not as high as your compressed/equalized voice" well yes, DIGU does cause my voice to be under modulated and thus a weaker signal output than running USB and having the PROC and EQ running. That is a given as there is no processing or equalization occurring with DIGU.

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

Not sure why the word I used was *'d out, was not used improperly..

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

I think the website auto-censor just looks for words that could have several meanings and implements the *** signal. Anyway, I think you are looking for a simple one-button switch from Voice to Digital.

Not a Profile

Not a Mode selection on the side panel or "flag".

Sounds like a Node Red button implementation.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Glenn, one trick is to open two slices. One is set to DIGU and the other to USB. To talk, set the USB slice to TX. To send digital, just click TX on the DIGU slice.

That way you get the processing and equalization on SSB and a clean signal on digital.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Len’s idea will work.

The purpose of DIGIU is to disable all EQ and processing as you want flat TX audio for digital modes? The Flex is no different than traditional radios in that respect.

For the digital slice, create a CAT PTT for that slice. Use that Com port in the digital program and PTT from the digital program will use the DIGIU slice with no processing.

Set the USB slice TX active and when you use a physical PTT it will bypass DAX and key the USB slice.

Dave wo2x

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

Len, The only issue with that is I am monitoring 4 slices at a time and that is all I have available to me. But, I have done that in the past. Not a fan of that being required however.

Dave, Exactly, I need that flat response when transmitting digital. This is why I would like to see the DAX bypass any processing/equalization the flex does, even when in the USB mode so I can utilize the processing and equalization for VOICE ONLY. The slice info is simple, not an issue.

The ONLY issue is the fact the DAX AUDIO is sent through the Processor and Equalizer when in the USB mode. That's all. To have to have 2 slices for the same frequency to allow for a clean unprocessed signal from the DAX makes no real sense and is a waste of capabilities. IMO there should be either NO PROCESSING of DAX audio or the ability to disable on a per DAX slice option.

I do not consider myself a new or basic user of the flex, I understand the functioning of the radio and 99% of its options. I was simply posing a question and hoping for a response by a staff member of Flex to get their input and see if they had any chance of making a simple change or capability add in the future, or a trick to make it work how I believe it should be. I am open to testing out alpha and beta versions as well, I do have experience in Alpha and Beta testing.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Glenn

You said that your Mic and Voice Keyer input is via the balanced Mic in. This is in no way related to DAX at the MIC level.

Mic audio passes via the Equalizer but since you do not want to use it, keep it OFF for both TX and RX for your preprocessing. Also, make sure you don't over-drive this input.

PROC is in the RF chain, not the audio chain. PROC is disabled in DIGU/DIGL and RTTY modes to ensure flat audio. It is optional for voice modes.

DAX, when used for non-digital modes pass through the Equalizer by design which is good because you can put pre-processed audio into DAX from a Voice Keyer and let the radio process it just like your mic.

In order to achieve the settings you want, you will need to use Global Profiles. These are the items saved in a Global Profile.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Glenn

Tell us more about your station. Flex Radio type (number of available SCUs and number of slices, available)

What are you using for a GUI Client, Mac SDR, Windows SDR, IOS Apple, Maestro, M Model?

From what I can gather, you want to use a number of slices in the SSB mode, with TX DAX off, that use the built-in TX processor. At the same time, you have other slices, used for digital, that you want to use in the DIGU mode, with TX DAX on.

Is this correct? How many slices for digital and how many for SSB?

I can see several solutions, depending on your equipment and goals.

One approach, for example, is to use two GUI Clients. Set up separate TX profiles for each GUI Client, one TX Profile on GUI Client #1, for the SSB mode (TX DAX off and EQ On), and the other GUI Client's TX Profile, set up for Digital Modes (TX DAX off, DIGU mode).

The EQ settings will follow the TX profiles. The TX DAX settings follow the TX Profile. Also, the bandpass low and high cutoffs, follow the TX profile (remember, these are not the same for digital vs audio, particularly if you operate a wider bandpass high cutoff for enhance SSB), So having two TX profiles, for each GUI client, allows you to operate both SSB and Digital, at the same time.

Another approach is to process the audio outside the Flex Radio, like Dave, WO2X does.

Another approach is to build a custom "mode/DAX" switcher", in my case, I would use Node-Red.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

Mike,

Yes I know this is not related. Was trying to answer or comment back to a prior post. Where the processing occurs was beyond me. I know processing is optional in USB and is disabled in DIGU.

The issue I come across is my microphone audio is very low no matter what I set microphone gain when in DIGU, or it is too high and get distorted, or so I have been told on the air. When using USB I also use PROC ON, and also have EQ ON for TX and setting that give me better quality audio, as has been reported over the air.

Having to switch back and forth from USB to DIGU is not very effective or an efficient way to operate. Nor is having two slices, one in USB for voice and one in DIGU for digital operations.

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

Alan,

Flex 6600, Windows SDR.

No that is not what I am wanting.

I am looking for the DAX to NOT go through ANY processing, just like when in DIGU mode. Or an option to disable that processing as my voice quality is poor when using DIGU without any processing or equalization. Utilizing the USB Mode and having processing on and utilizing the EQ both of which makes my voice quality much more reasonable, has a notable difference on wide band digital modes.

I am fully aware of profiles, I have many set up. I am also NOT wanting to use multiple slices "2" for a single frequency as this is very inefficient. It is a "work around" only to gain the functioning many want, but, at the same time then limits the you to a technically two frequency agile radio verses a four frequency agile radio.

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

It seems as though this is 2 of 2 items that needs a work around to correct which also limits the capabilities of the radio equipment. I am also guessing this is also not in any interest to make changes to give more options to the end users as another issue I had found a while back.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Glenn

Then, you should process your audio outside of the Flex Radio.

There are a lot of ways to do voice processing, either with hardware rack equipment or software Digital Audio WorkStations. Also, look again at Dave's, WO2X, response.

Alan. WA9WUD

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

As I posted, digital slices should be DIGIU and voice slices USB. This is correct operation and design. DIGIU is meant to be flat audio, with no processing or EQ. If your voice audio is too low then look at either using the 20 dB boost on USB or use a small preamp between mic and radio. Some of the “professional” mics benefit from a preamp between mic and radio and not using 20 dB boost. That’s how I do it with RE-27ND.

Not sure why you would want to use DIGIU for voice or USB for digital.

Dave wo2x

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

There is another way....It isn't necessary to have two slices to do this:

Set up a Mic Profile called DIGITAL that has the settings you need for your digital transmissions.

Set up a Mic Profile for SSB and all the settings you prefer when operating SSB.

The First time you switch to the Digital modes on DIGU, select your DIGITAL Mic Profile.

Then Switch back to USB or LSB. Select your favorite SSB Mic Profile.

In Your Slice Pull-down in SmartSDR for Windows, in the MODE pull-down, set up two of your three user-defined mode buttons to USB and DIGU.

Now....... When you want to transmit with voice, click the USB mode selector, and it will remember your SSB Mic Profile.

When you want to send something Digital, select DIGU, and it will remember your DIGITAL Mic Profile.

You can get into the habit of selecting the proper mode before transmitting -- it is only one mouse click if you leave the MODE pull-down open.

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

That is likely the only way to get what is needed accomplished. Still not very efficient because you must make a change each time. Although I only use one microphone profile, not sure why I would need to make one, if it remembers each time to use the same mic profile, just have the one, always receive in DIGU and TX Speech in USB. But still not very efficient. Thx

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.