Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smart link

Is anybody having issues with smart link?

Best Answer

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Nope

What sort of problem are you seeing?

• Robert P.
    Robert P. Member ✭✭

Hi Mike, not able to remote to either my 6400 or 6500. I think something happened to port forwarding settings in my router.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

If you can remotely reboot both the radio and the router, it should recover assuming you are using uPNP on the router and DHCP (not hard coded) IP addresses on the radio.

If you are using any manual settings, then you need a way to log into your router and confirm the uPNP tables are doing the correct thing.

If you have a PC that is inside your network (or a VPN that will allow you to get inside your network) then you can log in and check remotely. This is a part of a remote station setup that I highly recommend.

If you can't then it sounds like you'll need to visit the radio to check. Sometimes these things resolve themselves after a day or so when settings time out.

• Robert P.
    Robert P. Member ✭✭

Ok I use a static IP and not DHCP. Are there any videos Mike that explains that configuration you are talking about?

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited January 2022

Hi Robert

If you setup the radio the way it is shipped, it would have used DHCP out of the box.

You can review the SmartSDR V3 manual on Section 4 for the initial setup and Section 9 for the SmartSDR setup.

At the moment, I am only guessing as to your failure situation, but it is the most popular when the Router settings don't match the Network setup. If you want to understand the mechanics of your failure, you want to review the router uPNP (or Port Forwards) settings and compare those to the IP address of the radio.

We find leaving the system in a totally automatic mode to be the most reliable. Hard coding works as well, but it best if you understand Network communications.

Sorry to hear you are offline at the moment.

• Robert P.
    Robert P. Member ✭✭

Hi Mike, hope all is well with you. I still have issues with Smart Link. I am using ATT U-verse that is why UPnP and DHCP don't work for me. What's strange is see both radios in smart link as if it is configured correctly but never connects. What do you suggest? Thanks

• Mike-VA3MW

@Robert P.

It might be best to open a support ticket at this time.

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭

Hi Mike, Mt internet is from T-Mobile cellular. No way I can make SmartLink work. I tried to get a static ip from T-Moble, but no one there knew how to do it. Do you have any suggestions for me?

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Many providers are using Carrier Grade Network Address Translation (CGNAT) including most of the cellular networks, starling, and others. With current tech, there is no practical way to get smartlink to work reliably.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Dave, one option is to use a VPN. SoftEther is free and works well. The downside is needing a SoftEther VPN server at the radio end of the link as well as at the remote end.

When I operate remotely, I use SoftEther to connect my homebrew box with knobs and buttons to my 6400. I use TeamViewer to rotate my antenna and manage my tuner and amp (DDutil). In my case, I am able to use SmartLink, but if it were to go down, the VPN would work in its place.

SmartLink does some additional data compression, and so has a little less latency than SoftEther, but SoftEther is still quite usable.

If you elect to try SoftEther, there are quite a few of us on here who use it regularly and can give you help if you need it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.