Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WKFlex - CW remote with SmartSDR and Winkeyer

Comments

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Val, I can search online and see what WK strings are emulated by the microHAM, it could be an initialization problem. Unfortunately I do not have a microHAM to test with. In meantime, as suggested for the WKSerial, slow down the init sequence by increasing the Command Delay time.

Please let me know

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

I would like to make WKFlex more compatible and working with different Winkeyer versions and clones. Because I do not have access to all the hardware, I'm asking if anyone using one of those units is willing to run some simple tests for me.

Please reach out to me directly.

73, Max

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭

Is there any way to speed up the ptt over Lan on my own local network? I can get the first character of my call out at 25 wpm before I see the Flex 6500 respond with TXing. same with the last character with radio still TXing nearly a sec after I have sent the character. This is with the radio about 100ft away in the shed and LAN cable run directly out to shed from the Router here in the shack.

Using Winkeyer USB and V1.1 of WKFlex.

Thanks for any tips

Lar k1UO

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Larry

If there is a delay, I doubt it is in the LAN. Unless you have a pile of collisions going on, the odds are about zero. You may want to look elsewhere.

Mike

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

There is a delay generated by the whole chain which can't be really reduced much:

1) Winkeyer needs to wait until your paddle sends the whole character to transform it in an ASCII symbol;

2) Winflex gets the symbol through the (virtual) serial port, processes it, and sends it to SmartSDR through the SmartCAT virtual serial port;

3) The virtual SmartSDR Winkeyer processes the symbol transforming it in dot and dashes and starts the sending process

On top of that there is your (selectable) speed offset which adds some wanted delay.

Sorry, this is the price you have to pay to transmit an acceptable CW with the paddle over a remote connection.

Hope this helps

73, Max

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Max... Actually the Remote Rig solution I used to have was the best cw solution over a remote WAN connection..just more expensive. I thought the Winkeyer might be as good here on a local LAN but from what I see here the Maestro is a bit better, response wise, but I am having character dropouts and occasional character clipping. May need to go back to the Remote Rigs.

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭

Anyone looking to save a little on a new Winkeyer USB..let me know!

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Larry, I built a keyer into my TeensyMaestro, and I *think* it uses the same method for remotely keying my Flex 6400 as the Maestro uses.

Depending on network quality, I need to increase the CW delay (not TX delay) when operating remotely. Generally, I can set it to 100 ms and get perfect CW. If the network quality is especially good, I can drop it to around 30 ms. If it is really bad, I have to add a bit more. I use FDX to listen to my keying while I adjust CW Delay.

Try adding some CW Delay, and see if that cleans up your remote keying with your Maestro.

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Update on the compatibility, WKFlex works with MicroHam.

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

WKFlex V1.2 has been released today.

It is a maintenance release to support the newborn in the K1EL Winkeyer family, the WKUSB-AF.

• SM3RAB
    SM3RAB Member ✭✭

After I just hit one of the paddles of my Bencher WKFlex crashes. No matter version of WKFlex. It does start as it should. My computer runs W10 Pro x64

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

@SM3RAB

Looks like you had everything running before. What changed? Please send a screenshot of your Winkeyer configuration using the standard K1EL tool, WKTool5.3. I suspect something in your configuration is not handled correctly. Please write direct to me (max.i8nhj@gmail.com).

I'll post my finding here anyway.

73, Max

• Jens SM6AFV
    Jens SM6AFV Member ✭✭

Hi Danny,

After problems with the RemoteKeyer I have now tested WKFlex-v1.2 with excellent performance.

I am using SSDR 2.7.6 with an Flex6600 and a old WinkeyerUSB. An instant SideTone

is generated with a separate sinus generator keyed by theWKUSB and sent to a separate

speaker.

I am mostly working on the Microwave bands. Using several different antenna relays

with different switch over timings. To avoid hot switching I normally use manual PTT.

When testing WKFlex-v1.2 I found that Breakin was activated all the time even if

Breakin was unchecked in SSDR P/CW setting. Sometimes also the PTT was stuck in

TX state. I then needed to send a character to release the TX state.

I wish to have check box to inactivate Breakin.

Jens SM6AFV   

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Jens, I think you are talking to me addressing me as Denny, which is fine anyway.

I'm happy you like WKFlex, we will keep adding functionalities and fixes. A new version will be out soon.

Look at the new WKUSB-AF for a better audio integration.

As about the BKIN function, this is a SmartSDR function, not controlled by WKFlex at all. Try sending with the CWX panel and you'll see the same behavior. My guess is the BKIN function is relevant to local keying, not to any other CW transmitting function.

I have seen the PTT issue and my feeling is that it is a SmartSDR issue, but I'll investigate it more deeply.

73, Max

• Jens SM6AFV
    Jens SM6AFV Member ✭✭

Hi Max,

Thanks for the info and

sorry for the name mixed up.

Jens - SM6AFV

• Jens SM6AFV
    Jens SM6AFV Member ✭✭

HI again Max,

I have now upgraded SmartSDR to version 2.8.0

When testing WKFlex-1.2 I still have the problems with Breakin activated and

after sending cw the radio does not release PTT.

Jens - SM6AFV

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Jens, as discussed before, the break-in activation is a SmartSDR feature, it only works for keying the radio locally with a keyer plugged-in into the key jack. There is no way I'm aware off to disable it using the SmartSDR winkeyer emulation or CWX. About the PTT, please reduce the Delay to a very small number, say 300, and check if this changes something.

73, Max

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

WKFlex 2.0 is ready for download.

I'm happy to announce the new release of WKFlex. This is a major release with functional improvements, cosmetic fixes, and new features including the full interface to N1MM (and other logging applications). Virtually any Winkeyer model (and clones) is now supported.

Download the ReadMe file from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmts3z3s30sohsk/WKFlex%20Readme.pdf?dl=0

Download WKFlex 2.0 from here:

73, Max

• Mark - W0QL
    Mark - W0QL Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    WKFlex worked great on the first try. I'm using a paddle to a WinKeyer USB and a Flex 6400 remotely. Beautiful solution. Solves the problem of using a paddle with a remote, not wanting to use the pc keyboard to send. Thank you very much. 73 es DX, Mark, W0QL
  • N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

WKFlex 2.1 is out!

This maintenance release fixes the known issue inherited from Ver 2.0 about the paddle missing some letters after sending several N1MM messages.

As an extra feature, N1MM buffered speed change (to send, say 5NN faster) is now reflected into the radio and local winkeyer. 

Download the ReadMe file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmts3z3s30sohsk/WKFlex%20Readme.pdf?dl=0

Download WKFlex V2.1 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4skwz1pl63ff55/WKFlex-V21.zip?dl=0

PS: I'm running out of ideas and I'm not sure if WKFlex can grow more. Please feel free to suggest new features and enhancements!

Enjoy CW

73 de Max, N5NHJ and David, N1BIT 

• Tilio
    Tilio Member ✭✭
    some possible WKFlex for iPad in the future? Could be great for field ops. TKS de IU3BRO Tilio
  • N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Ciao Tilio,

I do not have experience with programming Apple devices, but I'll investigate.

Thanks for the idea.

73, Max

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Tilio,

I did a quick research. Looks like there is not an easy, economical, and practical way to connect a Winkeyer to an iPad. The Winkeyer USB is not recognized by the iPad and the USB to Serial MFI (Made For IOs) converters (assuming the use of a serial Winkeyer) are not easy to be found. So, no go in the foreseeable time.

73, Max

• ct1drb
    ct1drb Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Hello Max and Tilio,\ncalls are ct1drb and ok8rb, name is David Quental and qth close to Lisbon.\ninstead to connect, via USB, a Winkeyer to an iPad, is there a change to access to an online Winkeyer?\nOr to an application that manages the Winkeyer.\nJust an idea.\nBest 73 all.\n\nCT1DRB/OK8RB\nDavid Quental\n\n"}]
  • N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Hi David,

There are several ways to connect a Winkeyer over a network. Using a USB device server is one option, using WKRemote by K1EL is another option. It depends on what you are trying to achieve.

But this is a bit off-topic.

• Tilio
    Tilio Member ✭✭
    Hi all, I'm using wkflex 2.1 but got two issues: not able to have app displayed, to be able to stop and setting and continuing, second actual configuration doubles all my hits, i.e. when I key "K" I get "KK". any suggestion? Thanks
  • Tilio
    Tilio Member ✭✭
    Forgot to say: using Win 8.1: maybe this is the problem?
  • N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Tilio, send me an e-mail to my address, so we can keep going with debugging this issue (in Italian) and I'll report the findings here.

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

Tilio's issue has been investigated and somehow addressed.

Tilio is using the K3NG Arduino keyer emulating the Winkeyer. If the FEATURE_COMMAND_LINE_INTERFACE functionality (in keyer_features_and_options.h) is enabled along with the Winkeyer emulation, the characters sent by the paddle are echoed twice and, therefore, transmitted twice by the Flex through the WKFlex.

The workaround is to disable the CLI functionality in the Arduino code.

I'll reach out to Anthony, K3NG to check for any possible fixes; In meantime, feel free to touch base with me for any possible WKFlex/K3NG interaction issues.

• Tilio
    Tilio Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Max, in detail the trick has been to disable the FEATURE_COMMAND_LINE_INTERFACE (doing // FEATURE_COMMAND_LINE_INTERFACE) in the sketch "keyer_features_and_options.h", and magically double beat disappeared when using WKFlex. Thanks again Max, you and this forum precious

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.