Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RF gain issue

K6JV
K6JV Member ✭✭

I have always had the RF gain at zero which would have the S meter at 5 with just the noise. Now I have to increase the RF gain to maximum to hear anything. Have I lost something in the front end of the receiver? It is a 6400 via Smartlink to a remote site.

Comments

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

Do your S-meter still show S5? Are the s/w still show you are using the same antenna port as earlier? What does the SWR show when you transmit? I ask as this may help us to spot the problem.

/Lasse SM5GLC

• K6JV
    K6JV Member ✭✭

The SWR was fine and no the S meter showed S1 when the RF gain was all the way done. Suddenly now the radio is almost normal except the RF gain has no effect on the S meter reading.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

That is proper operation - the RF Gain should not affect the S-meter reading. There is a section in the SmartSDR manual on adjusting the RF Gain. I find that I occasionally need to adjust it depending on band conditions and time of day.

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

Just to add one thing, by altering the BW you will see different reading on the S-meter. Going from 3kHz down to 300 Hz will show almost a 2 s-unit drop (i.e. 10 dB). This is for noise only.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

The S meter displays the signal strength (all signals the selected bandwidth) , unlike a traditional radio that measures the agc in the if stage to drive the S meter. On any radio if changing the rf gain affects the S meter, the s meter is inaccurate.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

K6JV

A few questions.

RFGain or AGC-T

What are the settings for both.

What bands?

What procedure are you using to adjust your AGC-T?

73, Mike

• K6JV
    K6JV Member ✭✭

HI Mike, whatever the issue was with the Maestro it fixed itself!

I use the published procedure to adjust AGC-T.

The issue was happening on all bands. The issue was that the S meter fell to S1 and the sensitivity of the receiver was way down. Adjusting the RF gain made the S meter go up and down.

The radio suddenly popped back to normal sensitivity and the S meter back to it's usual S5.

Weird🤬

• gbo
    gbo Member, Unconfirmed
    Hello, do you find any solution for this rf-gain issue? My new remote station with Flex 6600 is doing exactly same and all bands. Radio just have been only one week in my remote station and brand new. I was working remote, using internal antenna tuner and suddenly radio lost all signals. When i turn rf-gain to maximum preamp, signals came up. AGC-T is adjusted as usual. I tried to reset all tuner memories, factory reset whole radio and no luck. I have another Flex 6400 and it works just fine. Any ideas what might be the issue with 6600?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@gbo

This is not normal and not something we normally see. Please open a support ticket. If you can take a video of it failing, that will really help out the support team understand what is happening.

Don't forget to say what version of the software you are using.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.