Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ham Radio Deluxe selects wrong CAT COM port (COM104 instead of COM10)

I opened a ticket with HRD on this issue. The response was somewhat disappointing (This happens a lot with Flex systems. The only thing you can do is uninstall every Com Port (also the Hidden ones) After that install the Virtual port drivers)). Seems like if I set the preset to COM10 and HRD selects COM104 on the next startup, the issue is an HRD issue and one should not have to play around with drivers.

I've included my ticket info and HRD's response, Intent of posting here is to get 1) Flex's view of this, 2) see if others have the issue and 3) if so, any solutions? My current solution is to not connect automatically to the radio so I can go into the Preset tab and select COM10 as HRD seems to cache COM104.

Ticket and HRD response:

=====================================================================================

My "Connect" preset default is set to my FlexRadio SmartSDR COM10. Every time I start HRD, the "New" screen defaults to COM104 even though my preset is COM10. Several screen snapshots attached:

·        Screen 1: Error when starting HRD

·        Screen 2:Connect->New screen after closing error

·        Screen 3: Connect->Preset screen

·        Screen 4: Update Connect->New to COM10

·        Screen 5: HRD starts correctly

·        Screen 6: COM ports in device manager

This repeats every time I start HRD. Very frustrating as the preset is actually set to COM10 and not COM104.

Thanks in advance,

Ron, WB2WGH

=====================================================================================

Ronald,

This happens a lot with Flex systems.

The only thing you can do is uninstall every Com Port (also the Hidden ones)

After that install the Virtual port drivers

Let me know

---

You can view the details of your service request at: https://support.hamradiodeluxe.com/helpdesk/tickets/9613

---

Screen snapshot #1 - #6 in order:

Ferry PD9FER

Ham Radio Deluxe Support Technician

Comments

• Gary W9GD
    Gary W9GD Member ✭✭

I recently purchased a new computer for Christmas. I am not new to Hrd or Slicemaster. I have been struggling to get both to run correctly. I have picked port 10 for HRD and it jumps to 107 then i have to do as written above and manually select 10 . I have a great PC Elmer helping as well and we don't know how to fix this. And Slicemaster does not work at all as it did in my windows 10 machine but that's for another thread. No connectivity no spots and will not start wsjt or dm780. Running windows 11 now on a very fast I7. I wrote to Slicemaster 2 weeks ago but no assistance as of yet.

Gary W9GD

• MarkS
    MarkS Member ✭✭

Gary, I found that the order that I opened the apps mattered. I would get Com Port conflict errors. The order that seemed to solve this for me: SmartSDR, HRD, SliceMaster, FRStack. Then either WSJT-X with Gridtracker, or my Microphone audio processing programs. I wait till each program fully launches before opening the next. I also close the programs in reverse order.

I am not using SliceMaster to open any programs.

I'm using Windows 10.

The open/close sequence shouldn't matter, but it seemed to reliably solve my the conflict issues I was having.

Mark (wd9jen).

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭

Gary,

If you are using Slice Master, there’s no need to configure a COM port anywhere in HRD to control your radio. Instead, skip HRD Rig Control and manually launch HRD Logbook. In the radio options dialog there, you can configure it to connect directly to Slice Master’s HRD TCP TX Listener. Doing so will cause HRD Logbook to follow your TX slice instead of being bound to a single slice like you get with HRD Rig Control. As a bonus, Slice Master’s implementation of the protocol gives access to additional functionality.

—Don

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.