SmartSDR v3.3.32 and the SmartSDR v3.3.32 Release Notes | SmartSDR v2.7.6 and the SmartSDR v2.7.6 Release Notes
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes
Power Genius XL Utility v3.6.24 and the Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.6.24
Tuner Genius XL Utility v1.1.8 and the Tuner Genius XL Release Notes v1.1.8
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
Setting RF Ant Gain
I carefully went band to band and set my RF Ant Gain according to these guidelines from Tim.
- Here is the process to optimize receiver sensitivity for your given operating conditions:
- Find a clear frequency on your VFO.
- Set the slice receiver mode to CW and the receiver passband filter to 500 Hz. Turn off any noise reduction, APF, RX EQ that will add gain to the receive audio.
- Disconnect the antenna - You can select an antenna input with no antenna on it like RXA or XVTA.
- Note the dBm reading with no antenna connected.
- Connect the antenna.
- Note the reading in dBm. This is where an accurate dBm calibrated S meter really counts. Ours is truly 6 dB per S unit and measures the actual receiver sensitivity in the selected bandwidth.
- If the noise goes up about 8-10 dB, you have the optimal RF preamp setting for the noise on your antenna for the given time of day and propagation.
- If the noise with the antenna connected goes up significantly more than 10 dB, you have too much preamp gain, which will limit dynamic range for large signals. Reduce preamp gain.
- If the noise goes up much less than 8 dB, increase preamp gain to get it closer to the 8-10 dBm increase.
Below find the settings I arrived at. Since this statement was also in the above article I find my settings a bit odd. "In general, no RF pre-amplification is usually needed on most HF bands due to environmental and atmospheric noise at most QTHs versus the radio's internal noise." Antenna is an untuned 1200' loop at 65'
Leave a Comment
- 18.5K All Categories
- 132 Community Topics
- 2K New Ideas
- 279 The Flea Market
- 6.2K Software
- 5.4K SmartSDR for Windows
- 93 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 211 SmartSDR for Mac
- 188 SmartSDR for iOS
- 180 SmartSDR CAT
- 115 DAX
- 321 SmartSDR API
- 7.8K Radios and Accessories
- 6.4K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 631 Maestro
- 29 FlexControl
- 777 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 409 Genius Products
- 241 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 145 Tuner Genius XL
- 23 Antenna Genius
- 119 Shack Infrastructure
- 75 Networking
- 204 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 91 Contesting
- 307 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 87 Amateur Radio Interests
- 581 Third-Party Software