SmartSDR v3.5.9 and the SmartSDR v3.5.9 Release Notes | SmartSDR v2.10.1 and the SmartSDR v2.10.1 Release Notes
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes
Power Genius XL Utility v3.8.4 and the Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.8.4
Tuner Genius XL Utility v1.1.20 and the Tuner Genius XL Release Notes v1.1.20
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
Setting RF Ant Gain
I carefully went band to band and set my RF Ant Gain according to these guidelines from Tim.
- Here is the process to optimize receiver sensitivity for your given operating conditions:
- Find a clear frequency on your VFO.
- Set the slice receiver mode to CW and the receiver passband filter to 500 Hz. Turn off any noise reduction, APF, RX EQ that will add gain to the receive audio.
- Disconnect the antenna - You can select an antenna input with no antenna on it like RXA or XVTA.
- Note the dBm reading with no antenna connected.
- Connect the antenna.
- Note the reading in dBm. This is where an accurate dBm calibrated S meter really counts. Ours is truly 6 dB per S unit and measures the actual receiver sensitivity in the selected bandwidth.
- If the noise goes up about 8-10 dB, you have the optimal RF preamp setting for the noise on your antenna for the given time of day and propagation.
- If the noise with the antenna connected goes up significantly more than 10 dB, you have too much preamp gain, which will limit dynamic range for large signals. Reduce preamp gain.
- If the noise goes up much less than 8 dB, increase preamp gain to get it closer to the 8-10 dBm increase.
Below find the settings I arrived at. Since this statement was also in the above article I find my settings a bit odd. "In general, no RF pre-amplification is usually needed on most HF bands due to environmental and atmospheric noise at most QTHs versus the radio's internal noise." Antenna is an untuned 1200' loop at 65'
Leave a Comment
- All Categories
- 226 Community Topics
- 2K New Ideas
- 451 The Flea Market
- 6.9K Software
- 5.8K SmartSDR for Windows
- 120 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 311 SmartSDR for Mac
- 233 SmartSDR for iOS
- 216 SmartSDR CAT
- 154 DAX
- 340 SmartSDR API
- 8.4K Radios and Accessories
- 6.8K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 706 Maestro
- 39 FlexControl
- 822 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 659 Genius Products
- 361 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 229 Tuner Genius XL
- 69 Antenna Genius
- 213 Shack Infrastructure
- 142 Networking
- 338 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 116 Contesting
- 538 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 108 Amateur Radio Interests
- 768 Third-Party Software