Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Internet switch off - FLEX-6400M is not working

Detlef
Detlef Member ✭✭

I switched my 6400M on which came up with 80m Band. After activating SmartSDR CAT and SmartSDR DAX I started MixW v. 3. The Waterfall did not show any signal. Switching the Band via MixW has no function. SmartSDR CAT told me that there is no Radio present. Than, after 20 seconds the radio was present and ready to connect. I connected the Radio, but 10 seconds later it was lost. The same happened with DAX. Switching the 6400M off and on again, brought the Info Screen, which told me INTERNET : NO. There was also an yellow warning sign for no Ethernet connection - I believe. I checked my LAN from Radio to PC and LAN cable to Router. All was o.k. and working. Only Internet was missing (DSL - INFO).

After more than an hour the Internet was back and all worked together as usual.

Does this mean that FLEX-Radios do not work with third party software if there is no internet? Which finally means that FlexRadio users can not continue an contest, if Internet fails? From my point of view a NO GO. But may be I did somethimg wrong and somebody has an solution to continue the use of FlexRadios with 3rd party software if only the LAN is present.

Best Regards

de Detlef - DK6OR

Best Answer

• Detlef
    Detlef Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hallo Len and Mike.

Thank you both for your answers. Yes, I am using v3.2.39 and today I switched the Internet off and made a single ethernet cable connection between 6400M and PC. I started PC and 6400M. First stop was the info screen with yellow Icon and Info - Operate - SmartLink Setup. With Operate the next stop was the screen with Select a Version. As v3.2.39 was selected I pressed Run. Band Screen with signals and Waterfall was present, but no Slice was activ and no AF came from the Radio. Touching the left Slice Icon on the screen produced a Click inside the Radio (Relay) and brought AF out. On my PC I started SmartSDR CAT, DAX and MixW3.2. All worked together.

I also found out that there was an heavy fault in my DSL Connection. The provider worked on there distribution cable. May be that toggling DSL on and off irritated the 6400M configuration process during boot.

Thank you for your help. Stay safe.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Detlef, the radio does not require Internet connectivity to work locally. You can connect your radio, computer, Maestro and any other ethernet-connected devices to an ethernet switch (no Internet connectivity) and everything should work. You may want to experiment with this as a contest setup (unless you need DX spots...).

I would suspect a bad cable, switch or router. To help diagnose the problem, I would plug a computer running SmartSDR directly into the radio's ethernet port. If that works, then you know that the radio is OK, the computer is OK and that piece of ethernet cable is OK. Keep adding elements of your network until something fails - this will show you the most likely culprit. I would do all this using DHCP, not static IP addressing.

If the computer directly connected does not work, then try exchanging ethernet cables.

If you continue to have issues, submit a help desk ticket - Flex is very good at diagnosing network problems,

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Len is correct.

The 'no internet' message is actually a bug. Also, it is only important for Software Fixes and SmartLink remote connections.

If the waterfall doesn't show up, that is something in your network that is blocking ethernet communications.

You also want to make sure you are running v3.2.39 as you don't mention what version of the software you are using.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Detlef

Thanks for the excellent update. Let us know how you make out moving forward.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.