Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

APRS using SoundModem

Michael N3LI
Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Although I've lagely shifted over to MacOS for my SSDR daily driver, There are some things I use the Winders version for, like I was setting up a APRS station for a demo using SoundModem and APRSIS CE.

And I don't know if anyone else has ever had this problem, but on boot, my Windows computer occasionally (maybe 1 out of 50 boots) starts randomly opening up stuff, as if it's clicking on programs and windows. I Just need to reboot, and web searches show I'm not the only one. So I wrote it off as just another quirk.

This morning however, the Random avenger opened up SSDR, along with some other windows, then randomly removed most of my SSDR CAT Ports. So just a word of warning to folks, if you are blessed with that bit of nuisance, and SSDR opens - shut the computer down pronto.

I think I'm going to save my latest profiles and settings, and go scorched earth on the install - there were so many windows popping open, there might be some other settings altered.

So just a word of warning if it happens to anyone else.

p.s., the computer has been scanned deeply for malware and virus issues, so it's clean.

(va3mw--> edited the subject)

Tagged:

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭

The only time I ever seen something like this, I had a GPSDO connected to my PC for time sync and it made my mouse pointer click on its own.

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Definitely don't have a GPSDO. After reinstalling SSDR, and ending up with some wild looking Com Ports, and Fabulatech driver **** happening - trying to uninstall them tells me it can't find an .msi file, and won't let me uninstall them manually, I've gone total scorched earth on the drive and am wiping the drive and reinstalling from scratch.

All this just makes me love my SSDR for MacOS - 100 percent uptime.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

make a help desk ticket, they can help fix you up in no time. You'll need the  COM Port arbitration program that they can send you the link for to delete them.

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

A note regarding the install on a fresh install of W10, all updated.

Allow changes - FB

Accept the agreement - FB

Set location (default) FB

Select Components DAX and CST - FB

Create Desktop shortcut - FB

After hitting the install button, a screen pops up for a instant, then it crashes. with an error 0xC0000035.

I did get it to install by using compatibility mode (W8 flavor)

Microsoft might have done something again.

Anyhow, I have it running again with CAT ports that aren't all wonky, with most of them cone who knows where.

Now to pick up the pieces of the system and reinstall all the other stuff. -73 Mike N3LI -

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen malware do this kind of takeover of the mouse/keyboard.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Michael N3LI

If that was my computer, I would save all my data, Fdisk and reformat and do a clean install of Windows. You will be chasing this problem for a long time as it is related to Windows Internals (not SmartSDR).

This operation is not normal after decades of dealing with strange problems such as this, I found the clean install path is the best use of my time. Just rip the bandage off and start over.

Today, I had a similar problem on a PI. VNC worked and then it didn't. I spent 3 hours last night debugging it and in the end, I just did a total reinstall and all is well.

Sometimes it takes and Axe to fix things.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

DEAR Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin superman ect. ect.

Super Elmer me this?

What is a PI?

What is a VNC.

Your community is not a printer that will run out of ink. I am tired of reading these posts and trying to figure out what the **** you are talking about.

Pease spend 30 seconds of your 3 hours to spell it out.

Or is it a secret code only meant for AFECMSEMAS

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭

.... what is : HAM, 73, 55, CQ, RST, QSY, TRX

try Google

What is your problem?

73 Chris

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

What is a PI? : a PI is actually a Raspberry Pi Micro-Computer that are used for thousands of projects and run mainly LINUX operating system.

What is a VNC.: VNC is a remote Desktop software package.

VNC has other meanings as well it just depends on what your talking about.

• Actually, Robby has a point. We know HAM, 73, 55, CQ, RST, QSY, TRX from many years experience in radio. (58 years in radio and I still don't know what 55 means) These are all common terms. However, many computer terms that many use are not so well known, especially for us 'older' hams. I learned long ago, writing technical documentation for medical x-ray, that you need to spell out a term the first time you use it and then use abbreviations there after. Please, let's cut each other some slack. This is meant to be a hobby....and fun. Best 73 All, Jim

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021

Now that you mention it I think I knew PI was a small computer.

A week ago I suffered a '****'. Not too severe and I hope it does not progress but now I am not sure what I'm supposed to know and I still don't know what a VNC is. I probably don't need to know.

Ham for 57 years here. That is not long enough.

Cons: So far the only problems have been speech (minor), memory, awareness, mobility and VNC.

Pros: I can now sleep 12 hours without chemicals and when I open my gate a little girl appears and takes my hand to make sure I don't fall.

BTW what does **** mean?

I have not tried a CW QSO yet.

Maybe I had too much fun in he 60's.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Bobby, hope your recovery continues. For your information (fyi) the **** is the automated **** language police part of the forum deleting what it thinks are bad words. Use your imagination to replace them. For many of us long term hams, networking stuff is a big leap. If I don’t know what the words mean, I just ignore it as being N/A.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021

------****----- is a bad word?

Wow! Or is that bad too.

I made my living in network architecture. I just can't remember much of it and in the years that I have been retired things have changed a lot.

I guess I am way off topic here. Thanks for your patience and positive help guys.

73 and 55 ???

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021

There are some sick people running this community. **** s* t*r*o*k*e* or el accidente cerebrovascular in spanish. Add that bad word to your list.

Stroke is the second leading cause of disability, after dementia. Disability may include loss of vision and / or speech, paralysis and confusion. Globally, **** is the second leading cause of death above the age of 60 years, and the fifth leading cause of death in people aged 15 to 59 years old.

Stroke is less common in people under 40 years, although it does happen. In young people the most common causes are high blood pressure or sickle cell disease. In many developed countries the incidence of **** is declining even though the actual number of strokes is increasing because of the ageing population. In the developing world, however, the incidence of **** is increasing. In China, 1.3 million people have a **** each year and 75% live with varying degrees of disability as a result of ****. The predictions for the next two decades suggest a tripling in **** mortality in Latin America, the Middle East, and sub-Saharan Africa.

What happens in a ****?

A **** happens when the blood supply to the brain is blocked or when a blood vessel in the brain bursts. The loss of blood to the brain means a loss of oxygen and the brains cells become injured and die. A **** can **** or leave you with a permanent disability.

You might want to wake up to the fact that in the next ten years a large percentage of this community will know first hand what a **** is.

You can turn this entire post to **** but that won't change anything.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited December 2021

@Robby

(let me let everyone know... I know Robby personally and I have been to his house when he was VY2SS. I consider him a friend and very well educated, so get some friend latitude on this) :) I am also sorry to hear about what happened.

RPI: https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/what-%20is-a-raspberry-pi/

VNC: https://discover.realvnc.com/what-is-vnc-remote-access-technology

If you need more information beyond those web pages that describe it much better than I can, let us know.

No matter the technology, you will always find articles with more acronyms that any of us can remember, myself included. We also have no idea of anyone's experience level, so we try to guess by the posting you make.

In case of the community, it is impossible for us to keep on top of things and also take the time to lay the groundwork by explaining every definition. If we are doing a more formal document, then, yes, we will do that to make sure know acronym is not at least expanded. I answer 200-300 technical questions in a day from a variety of sources.

That being said, do not hesitate to ask for clarification on a term we will be happy to expand on it and Google does a great job as well.

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

After accidentally starting the asterisk marks issue, I don't believe I typed anything unpleasant or not allowed in in my original post. Such things do happen in the world of computing. Stuff sneaks through, or innocent stuff gets flagged.

Regardless, my going scorched earth on the computer has fixed the problem. As far as I can tell, the cause of the multiple programs starting might have been a separate issue, but the big issue was when investigating to see if a software packet BBS could be set up for my club, (yes, we have a few people who still like packet radio) The big problems started when I tried downloading a BPQ32 setup textfile for it's setup. The site I was on gave me some extra gifts. As long as the malware didn't modify my BIOS (the setup files stored internally on the computer) I'm in good shape.

Note - BPQ32 is a software to provide public bulletin board (PBBS) I itself, it is not the malware problem in itself.

So no software packet modem for us! I bought a Kantronics hardware modem. Cutting edge stuff from 1985!

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

Packet BBS...BPQ32?

WOW! I did a lot of that in the mid-late 80's and I haven't played with any of that stuff since the mid-90's!

I think I remember where my MFJ Packet TNC (Terminal Node Controller) is stored! I wonder how much I could get for it on eBay?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.