Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR on Linux

2»

Comments

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I could only get it to EVER run on one particular computer so that was all for NOT so I gave up on it but the MAC version may give a Linux program so Idea's to have it run native on Linux

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

At this point in time, you must have MacOS, or preferably Windows, in order to update software in the Flex6xxx series. If you have an "M" model (or a Maestro) close by, you can run all of your digital apps on Linux using the DAX and CAT for Linux written by KC2G. Not straight forward, but doable.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Not Linux, but close. There is an iOS app, iPad, etc.

• Jay Edmonds
    Jay Edmonds Member ✭✭
    What would it take for nDAX to work with SmartSDR V2. I had to part with $100 just for this app. My goal is to get my Flex 6300 working with HamPI Digital modes. nCAT seems to work ok so far but mDAX, not so much. Fails on launching Pulse.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@KK0U

Hi Jim

Thanks to the TCP/IP ports on the radio being available for any application, Linux operation is very doable.

Someone has to write it from the Linux community. However, to date, no one is interested in doing it (or, hasn't shared it).

How about you? Or maybe some of your Linux friends?

Mike va3mw

• Bob Cheek
    Bob Cheek Member ✭✭

I got SSDR up on a Ubuntu 20.02LTS OS with VirtualBox running a Windows 7 machine. Everything seems to work pretty well, DAX and CAT is working. PC Audio is not, but since I want to use this solution as my local desktop that is not a show stopper. The thing that has got me baffled is the FlexControl. I have a serial port on the VB Win 7, but SSDR does not see the FlexControl. I can connect Putty to the Comm Port with the FlexControl and I can see the characters when I turn the knob and press the switches. I manually deleted the FlexControl drivers and re-installed them, No Joy. I also remapped the FlexControl to Com port 100, but the SSDR doesn't see the controls. Again, my Putty terminal connection can see it.

I am running this on a i7 2.5 Ghz processor with 16 GB ram. CPU load is about 30% to 40% with Linux, Windows 7, and SSDR running, which doesn't seem bad to me. (I tried running this same VB/Win7/SSDR on my dual core MacBook Pro but it was to slow and was very choppy.)

Doesn't anyone have any knowledge of how SSDR connects to the FlexControl on the serial port? I sure would like to get this going on Linux, cause I hate Windows 10 and from what I have seen of 11 there is no migration path there!

Regards,

Bob - N4RFC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.