Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to use the PGXL with an FTdx5000?

Has anyone figured out how to use the PGXL with an FTdx5000 that would allow me to use use 5k's VOX , voice memories, and the CW memory keyer?

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

If you review the PGXL Manual, it does describe the setup for an OEM radio.

It can be as simple as letting the PGXL detect the operational frequency and using the RCA Connector for PTT.

• Dick, W3OA
    Dick, W3OA Member ✭✭
    I asked this question because the FTdx5000 does not have a Tx delay that works for all modes. In that case the manual says "Connect the keying device (mic PTT switch, foot pedal, etc.) to the appropriate Power Genius XL PTT Input."

I don' think using the mic switch or foot pedal is a good solution if I want to use use 5k's VOX , voice memories, and the CW memory keyer.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

The PGXL will protect itself from hot switch overs.

Heil makes a special foot switch that keys the Amplifier first and then the radio.

• Dick, W3OA
    Dick, W3OA Member ✭✭

But the objectie is to use VOX and voice memories in the 5K. Being forced to use a foot switch with those kind of defeats the purpose.

• W5ERX
    W5ERX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Was there ever a resolution for this? I have this same situation with a Yaesu radio that I'd like to use with the PGXL. This specifically a concern with digital modes and the need for VOX. If the TX is triggered with VOX or a memory keyer, what is the solution?
  • Dick, W3OA
    Dick, W3OA Member ✭✭

I never did get what I considered a satisfactory resolution for the issue. The end result was I did not buy a PGXL.

• W5ERX
    W5ERX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I actually have one and it works well on my 6400. Being able to use it with my Yaesu radios was mandatory in my decision to purchase, but this was a little problem that was not mentioned.

Assistance from anyone would be appreciated.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

If the TX delay does not work on all modes in the FTdx5000 then it is a poor design. Have you confirmed this with Yaesu? I would think they could fix the problem in a firmware update. Does your radio have latest firmware?

If Yaesu can’t then you will have issues with any amp that uses relays.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x

Also you would want to disable ETX-Gnd in menu of FTdx5000. It shows as menu item 172.

This disables the internal relay in the radio which will reduce any TX delay introduced from that internal relay.

Dave wo2x

• W5ERX
    W5ERX Member ✭✭
    Well...maybe a bit more info is needed. I am not the OP and my radios are a FT-2000 and a FTDX 3000. I used the FT-2000 with an Alpha 76A for years without issue and never worried about a TX delay. I now have the Flex 6400 and a PGXL working well together. The PGXL was purchased with running one of the Yaesu radios mentioned on the B side of the PGXL.

In setting up the PGXL, the instructions said to set up a 20ms delay in the 6400; no problem. It then said that a delay had to be set up in the OEM radios or configure as follows....

"If the exciter does not support a transmit delay, then configure the amplifier and exciter in the following way:
     Connect the keying device (mic PTT switch, foot pedal, etc.) to the appropriate Power Genius XL PTT Input. The appropriate input is the same amplifier port (A or B) where the exciter output is connected.
     Connect the amplifier's PTT Output (port A or B) to the exciter in place of the keying device.
    When the amplifier is keyed, the Power Genius XL will manage the output keying signal delay and assert PTT at the transceiver when the amplifier is ready to accept RF."

This is fine for voice modes but if the TX is initiated in the exciter such as the FTDX 3000 running RTTY with audio and TX done over USB, is there an issue?

I can not find a menu in either radio to set a delay for the TX. I just want to make sure that I am not causing an issue in the PGXL.
  • David Decoons, wo2x

The radio should have adequate delay since it works with other amps that have relays. I checked and Yaesu does not publish the TX delay and it is not variable. Two things I noticed when looking at the FTdx5000 manual. First, if using CW, set it to semi-breakin. The amp doesn’t support QSK. Second, turn off the internal PTT relay in the Yaesu. That only adds overall delay. The relay is used for older amps that pull more current on PTT line.

I just picked up a K4D as second radio to my 6600M. The K4D can go to 25 ms max. Looping the PTT through the tuner then to amp has too much delay. When I PTT the amp would trip High SWR because RF was applied before the amp was ready.

I am using a Y box made for the K4. It is set up for PTT in and two PTT out. There is diode isolation between the PTT lines to amp and tuner. This fixed the problem. I could also send PTT to the amp then from amp to the tuner.

For protection during tuning or high SWR, I looped the PTT to amp through my watt meter which will open the circuit if SWR goes above 2:1 but keep PTT to tuner so I can tune.

Dave wo2x

• W5ERX
    W5ERX Member ✭✭

Thanks for the reply. I opened a support ticket and this is the reply:

"With a solid-state amp, we worry more about the timing of an RF signal being sent to the LDMOS before they are "ready" to accept it, than with a tube amp. However, you should be fine. CW is the mode the risk is higher.  I believe the Yaesu radios have a setting that manages the CW delay. Operating the PGXL with the CONTEST thermal profile (fan mode) will also help by not allowing the PGXL internal power supply to turn off during periods of inactivity. When that happens, it can take 500ms to turn back on and have stable voltage. 

In all audio modes, which includes digital modes, the actual delay is longer than 20ms."

Sounds like it should be just fine for my operations. 

• David Decoons, wo2x

Yes, it should be fine.

Dave wo2x

• Is it your understanding that the statement from Flex, "In all audio modes, which includes digital modes, the actual delay is longer than 20ms," would also be applicable concerning the Yaesu 991A also?
  • I entered the question prior to being confirmed. Sorry about that. Since I am now confirmed, I'll ask it again.
    Is it your understanding that the statement from Flex, "In all audio modes, which includes digital modes, the actual delay is longer than 20ms," would also be applicable concerning the Yaesu 991A also?
  • David Decoons, wo2x

I would recommend a 30 mS delay in the radio.

• The Yaesus do not allow an adjust of transmit delay in any mode other than CW. So the question I need answed is if the delay inherent in the SSB mode on a 991A is 20 mSec or greater. Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.