Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anan 7000 features for 6700

Is there any plans to add any new features to SmartSDR? The diversity receive capability could be so much more improved in SmartSDR, along with many other features available in other SDR software. Is there a roadmap of features to be added to SmartSDR? Thx. Len WF2V

Best Answer

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Unfortunately, FRS doesn't share information on upcoming firmware/software updates or new, upcoming features, if any, in a new version. In the past when they did share upcoming features or fixes, they received complaints when they missed a stated release date.

Not to be discouraging, but, fixes and new features seem to not occur that often with FRS firmware and software.

James

WD5GWY

Answers

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

If memory serves the last SmartSDR software release that included a new major feature was about 2 and a half years ago, somewhere around April 2019 when FRS introduced the Multi-Client feature. Many Flex owners have been hoping to see FRS retrofit SSDR with PowerSDR or ANAN type Diversity Receive and improved NR features for years.

We all have our threshold for patience. I reached my patience threshold this year and purchased an ANAN 7000DLE MkII. I still enjoy operating my Flex-6700 and it's my rig of choice (mainly because of its 8 receiver slices along with the ease of CAT and DAX operations), but owning an ANAN product made it obvious certain features of SDR software have improved significantly.

Many continue to hold out hope FRS has major SSDR improvements in the works.

Butch

KF4HR

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I have contemplated purchasing a Anan 7000DLE MKII. But, before doing that I bought a Hermes Lite 2 to see how well OpenHPSDR MRX worked.

As you know it has NR2 along with a good Automatic Notch filter. Just those two things alone are much better than the equivalent functions in SmartSDR. With my 6600M, I have resorted to using a Timewave 599zx outboard DSP filter just for the ANF that eliminates tuner uppers without blowing thru the top of a qso like the ANF in SmartSDR does. The Flex hardware and Customer Service are first class. Unfortunately, the software is still lacking with poorly working , basic features. Its been years since SmartSDR was introduced and yet, basic features continue to fall behind in their importance to FRS ( so it appears to me and others ). I doubt I will ever get rid of my 6600M because there are many things I like about it. ( one being I can attempt to write my own interface to the radio )

But, after experiencing the Hermes Lite 2, I will at some point buy or make a trade for a 7000DLE MKII. ( I have a lot of things to sell or trade

James

WD5GWY

• len
    len Member ✭✭

Thanks for all the good comments. I decided to order a ANAN 7000DLE MkII so I can play with the new SDR features. I do enjoy my 6700, but as others have pointed out the performance and features are becoming dated. Best 73, Len WF2V

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Enjoy the 7000DLE. It's a good radio. I wouldn't say the features in SmartSDR are dated, rather they need updated and brought to their full potential. Personally, I like the uncluttered appearance of SmartSDR. OpenHPSDR and Thetis still retain the look and feel of PowerSDR. It's not bad but is very limited and consumes a lot of screen space.

Either way, I think you will enjoy the 7000DLE once you get thru setting it up.

James

WD5GWY

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Trucker I have often thought I'd like to try an Hermes Lite 2. They are unobtanium right now. A friend has one.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Yes, it appears it may be a while before production resumes due to non-availability of parts. I have gone so far as to buy a Hardrock 50 amp to go with the HL2. 5 watts isn't quite enough in most cases to have a reliable qso.

I haven't hooked it up yet. I will say this, with some careful adjustments of the Noise Reduction settings in SmartSDR I have come so close to the NR2 performance., that it's almost ( but not quite ) the same. If FRS would just devote some time and effort to the Automatic Notch Filter, and make it work as well as the Notch Filter in my Timewave 599zx outboard filter, I would be an extremely happy camper!

James

WD5GWY

• len
    len Member ✭✭

James, how are you adjusting the noise reduction in SmartSDR to get close to NR2 performance?

Len

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Len,

I start by tuning to a quiet frequency and turning the AGC-T all the way up. Then I back it off to where the background noise starts to fall off. Then, I tune in a signal and adjust the NR slider till the remaining background noise ( that I can hear in the background of a qso I am tuned to ) drops off. It doesn't get as good as NR2 but is a noticeable improvement. And much quieter than most of my older radios. I can barely hear the background static at that point.

With the Hermes lite 2 and OpenHPSDR's NR2 the background hiss goes so low I have to turn the volume way up to hear any noise. One major difference between NR2 and SmartSDR's NR is if you are the least bit too aggressive with the Noise Reduction, it will bury a weak signal. At that point I have to turn off Noise Reduction to hear them at all. NR2 on the other hand, doesn't bury the weak signal, it makes it clear and easy to understand. That is a huge difference between the two. In SmartSDR you can turn the AGC-T back up to recover the weak signal better, but then the Noise Reduction doesn't work so well on background noise. I wish FRS could hire Warren Pratt or at least consult with him to fix their signal handling issues. But, I doubt that will happen. So, I do plan to buy a 7000DLE MKII in the not so distant future.

James

WD5GWY

• len
    len Member ✭✭

James, thank you so much for your technique. I will try it today. The radio and software have so much potential for enhancements. This is an exciting time to be a ham! Len

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Look at these comments on the FLEX Discussions, https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/7994027/interesting-time-using-the-nr

I use these settings still and think it may help what your talking about.

The key is to KEEP the DSP settings very low, my WNB is @ 10, NB is @ 1, NR is @ 10, ANF is @ 3 and the RX Equalizer is set to brighten the mid range and get rid of all the Baseness.

AGC-T is @ 51 at 40 at my station

EQ settings are

63 is -7,

125 is -7,

250 is -2,

500 is +2,

1000 is +5,

2000 is +5,

4000 is -4,

8000 is -9

I have the 4K and 8K turned down for my own hearing as my ears can't handle the high pitch garbage.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Len,

Here is a link from Tim that explains setting the AGC-T and its function.

wellfor whatever reason the Help Desk website won't let me post the link to Tim's explanation.

Google: using the AGC-T in SmartSDR . That will lead you to Tim's explanation.

Very detailed.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

WX7Y,

I have used Bill's RX EQ advice and it works quite well. Since my posts in that thread, I lost nearly all my hearing in my left ear and quite a bit in my right ear. I wear hearing aids and all the left one does is send sound from my left side, by Bluetooth, to the right hearing aid. That happened about two years ago. I have since had to adjust the 6600M's RX EQ since some of the tones I can hear have changed as well. Along with the Noise Reduction method I posted for Len, adjusting the EQ has helped a lot. Funny thing is, with the Hermes Lite 2 and NR2, I have not had to dive deeper into the audio settings to get clear audio. The default settings just work. That really surprised me. And the background hiss I hear on my 6600M ( very low, but noticeable ) is still louder than the Hermes using NR2 in OpenHPSDR. With NR2, I have to turn the volume almost all the way up to hear any hiss at all. ( maybe, being over half deaf has it advantages! )

James

WD5GWY

• Sigh, these discussions fall on deaf ears at Flex radio, have for over a decade. After their initial step up of the state of the art, they rest on multitasking and laurels. I have seen lots of words from Gerald and Steve over the years. They claim they can do it, but obviously believe it will not sell radios..
    As an owner of sdr1000, sdr1500, and sdr6700 I am VERY disappointed. Fred wa8kcw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.