Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL noob

I can't seem to find docs that show how to hook up the PGXL to a non-flex amp. I have a 6000 series flex and it works great to it, but I want to hook the 2nd port to an Icom 7300. Can't seem to get it to key it and the drop downs don't include that rig or seem to work on any of the 3 Icom's in there with different hex. Does this amp require something in these fields, or can it be run as a conventional amp and sense freq? If so, what must I do to get it to key it?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Hi

I think there is an error in your first sentence. :)

What I would try is to pick the IC-7800 which has a Hex address of 6A.

Now, go into the IC-7300

Menu, Set, Connectors, CI-V, CI-V Address and change that from 94h to 6Ah. (the little h means Hex).

Make sure the CI-V Baud Rate matches the Baud rate in the PGXL configuration. 4800 baud is LOTS fast enough since so little information is shared. It can be any baud rate you choose, but it has to be the same on both.

You may have to play with CI-V transceive by turning on or off, but on should be fine.

As reminder, I would add a small label on top of the 7300 to say you changed it for future reference.

The key point to remember in all Icom's is that the Hex address and baud rate must be the same on the radio and the computer program.

Answers

• kd9rae
    kd9rae Member
    edited December 2021
    This doesn't answer the keying question... I've got CAT (it follows band and freq) ... can't get the thing to KEY. I assumed it was just the SEND port off the 7300 (I tested it goes low when I tx) to the PGXL, but can't seem to get it working. What am I missing? Pulling the hair I have left out.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

If the 7300 Keying line is verifiably going to ground during transmission then you have a bad cable to the PTT input of the PGXL.

Peter

• W9SN
    W9SN Member ✭✭

I finally got it working. I still need to play with the few Icom settings in the amp. It sees the proper freq, for just a second, then disappears. Its keying just fine now.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Can you post a screen shot of the PGXL configuration screen please.

For Keying, you want to make sure you have this checked ONLY for non-Flex Radios.

RCA is used ONLY for OEM radios. Never have it on for Flex Radios.

• kd9rae
    kd9rae Member
    > @W2PP said:
    > If the 7300 Keying line is verifiably going to ground during transmission then you have a bad cable to the PTT input of the PGXL.
    > Peter

Thank you... I tested my cable for contact, but after thorough inspection found a bad solder joint. I didn't immediately blame it on the cable because I wasn't sure if I was right in my connections.

I am rocking and rolling now. Again... thank you!
  • Mike-VA3MW

Peter's comment is right on.

On any amplifier, you can test the PTT line very simply. With the amplifier powered on, and an RCA cable connected to the RCA connector on the amplifier, all you have to do is 'short' the other end with a **** driver and watch the amplifier go into TX. In fact, this is what happens when you hook this cable to any radio. It just causes a short.

I am sure this is freaking some of you out, but you do not require the radio to do this test. You are not sending any RF into the amplifier, so it is a safe thing to do and it won't harm the amplifier.

So, if you think you have a bad cable, this is a simple test.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.