Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

what is the max temp the amp can take?

After long QSO with a friend of mine I notice the amp was at 50C So after shut down the radio I left the amp on contest mode to continue the cooling. I have bad memories from my job when the STT operators would slam the power switch and **** the HP amp on the satellite system the soldiers use, that would cost the Army about 27,000 for a new HPA. So, the question I have what is Max temp then and after reaching the Max temp is there a recommended cool down time?

I have a Beast I want to keep it being a Beast

Jim

WU5E

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@James Kennedy-WU5E

You should have no issue blowing by 65C or more. The amp has significant power and temperature protection. As it gets warmer, the fans will speed up and if the temperature still increases the Amp will then start to reduce power.

As you said, you can't trust a human to do anything reliably (including myself LOL). So, we take care of that for you.

Based on the description of your QSO, that sounds about normal especially if you had CESSB (processor) turned on as CESSB will provide you with an additional 2.8db RF out from the radio as it fills the RF envelope with more talk power.

• thanks my PGXL- is a Beast

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.