Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connecting(?) USB to Serial adapter for the FLEX-6000 series to SainSmart USB 8 CH relay board

Hello, I purchased the FlexRadio USB to Serial adapter for the FLEX-6000 series cable to hook up a SainSmart USB 8 CH relay board. The relay board has a USB 2.0 type b, and the FlexRadio cable has the standard USB end. How do you connect the two. I watched the FlexRadio video “Flex 6000 - What is the USB port for on the back of the radio” https://youtu.be/T7bia-pZbBU. I am guessing I need an adapter cable? Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Bob KB8BYW

Best Answers

Answers

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Bob, I think the board that you have requires a computer, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or some other dedicated solution between the board and the Flex to make it work. I don't think that it natively takes Flex API or CAT commands to change the relays.

An Arduino or Teensy would be a cheap solution but would require programming. A Raspberry Pi could be used with Node Red and would require programming, but the Node Red support here and in the nodered-hamradio io-group is fantastic. There may already be a solution for this - you would need to look at what is available.

The other way to go is a relay board that has an individual control line for each relay. Then you could use the USB to parallel cable that Flex sells.

• bob2020rs
    bob2020rs Member ✭✭
    Thank you Len, thank you Larry. I will need to look into this a bit deeper. I saw the video that Mike VA3MW made, and thought all I need is a relay board and the cable he mentioned, and I’m in business. Thanks again guys!

Bob, KB8BYW
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

I have the sainsmart USB relay board and all I use is one of these cables. maybe give us a link to the exact sainsmart board your using. The USB to Serial cable in the video is used for a differant application than what your tryin to do.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH11KIK/ref=sr_1_3?ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-other-nomod-us000-gatwy-feature-SEARC&keywords=usb%2Bcable&qid=1637604654&sr=8-3&th=1

• KD0RC

So, I think I have a misunderstanding... Larry, does the SainSmart board plug directly into the Flex or into a computer that is plugged into the Flex using a different USB port? In other words, do you need a program on the computer to drive the relay board?

• KD0RC

Thanks Larry, I didn't realize that the SainSmart protocol was in the Flex (or that the Flex protocol is in the SainSmart...). So Bob, ignore my answer and go with Larry's.

• bob2020rs
    bob2020rs Member ✭✭

😃 Success, the relay board works after help from Larry and Len! Thank you both for taking your time to help me with my issue! I am smiling ear to ear! Take care guys and I hope only good comes your way!

Bob, KB8BYW

• KD0RC

Thanks Bob. The credit all goes to Larry. I did not understand that the board would work by directly connecting it to a Flex USB port.

In any event, I am glad you got it working!

• bob2020rs
    bob2020rs Member ✭✭

Hi Len, Yes, Larry was able to answer all the questions! Because you asked Larry for information, that in turn helped me solve my issue. That’s why I was thanking you both! I am lucky y’all were out there, and willing to assist. Thanks again, take care, and happy holidays to one and all!

Bob, KB8BYW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.