Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to operate a pgxl without a computer

I was asked by a fellow ham who doesn’t own a computer if he could use a pgxl with his Icom 7700. I don’t see how you can set it up without a computer. Everything I see directs you to the utility program to set it up. I understood no problem hooking up to the amp and the civ port and ptt etc but without a computer how do you get there to choose this

Doug K9crt

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Have a friend with a laptop visit.

:-)

Dave wo2x

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

well Dave thanks for the answer but that isn't going to happen hi hi but it seems that Flex has an amp that you must have a computer to set it up. Seems strange hopefully someone somehow might know a way. Everything I read (and I own an pgxl) directs me to the utility program to setup the amp for a given radio. In addition even if the factory would set it up for him if he ever had to default it etc he is up the creek without an paddle if this is true.

Doug K9CRT

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

Page 10 of 66 Copyright 2021 FlexRadio. All Rights Reserved. 9 August 2021 (FW:3.6.21 Utility:3.6.21)

3 Power Genius XL Setup, Configuration, and Testing

3.1 Unpacking and Setup

The following accessories and materials are included with your Power Genius XL amplifier. Carefully remove the

amplifier from its shipping container, unpack, and identify the items listed below:

 One (1) Power Genius XL amplifier

 One (1) 2.4m (8 ft.) AC power cord with C13 connector and pigtails

 One (1) 2m (6 ft.) Ethernet cable

 One (1) Power Genius XL User Guide

In addition to the above, the following are required for the initial setup of the amplifier:

 HF / 6-meter transceiver and antenna system

 Suitable coax jumper cables for interconnection of the transceiver and amplifier

 Windows™ PC with an ethernet connection, optionally connected to a local area network (LAN).

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

You can use the PGXL out of the box without a PC but you would be using RF Sence (a quick key of RF) to detect band change rather than using CAT. I have seen it done with a FTDX-101D. The PGXL defaults to RF Sence without any changes with the software.

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

Bring it to your house set it up. Then return it to him.

What will he do for updates?

take your amp to his house and see it you can set it up?

Bill W9JJB

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This is correct. You do need to have a Windows computer to initially configure the PGXL for an OEM exciter. Once this is done, a Windows computer is not required.

• Mike Crownover
    Mike Crownover Member ✭✭

I just had this happen to me. I get to my contest station, in a rural location, and the internet is out. I have no network by which the PGXL and the utility can talk. Likewise, I can't use LAN for band switching the PGXL from the 6600. What could I have done? I basically had to turn out the lights and leave.

Mike AD5A

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Why don’t you have a small PC at the remote site on the LAN there? Useful for firmware upgrades and initial configurations. Or just bring a laptop.

An important item to be part of a remote station is a PC. It is not needed for normal operation but definitely should be part of the remote station for reasons mentioned.

Also, why is your local network not working if Internet is down? You should always use your own router and if the ISP provides a device that is combo router and modem, have them put their router in bridge mode. That way even if the ISP’s device fails your local networks is still running.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.