Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6700 as 2m band receiver

I would like to use my F 6700 as a 2m band receiver with a direct antenna connection ( without a transverter). How sensitive is F 6700 on that band? Do I need to use an antenna preamplifier? Has someone done some measurements?

Tom

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Hi Tom

For normal operation, a preamplier is not required.

It really depends of what sort of operation you want to use it for. For EME work, yes you will want a preamp installed at the antenna.

For day to day operation such a FM and repeaters, no preamp is required. However, a power amp will be required as the RF out on the Transmitter is 5mw.

Answers

• Mr Radio
    Mr Radio Member ✭✭

Thank you for your comment, OM Mike. I plan to use my Flex to monitor local repeaters, so it is a quite ordinary application. Perhaps someone will be able to measure 2 m band sensitivity and share results here...

Tom

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

To be honest, for FM work, the FlexRadio is more than sensitive enough. I have bench tested it in my Lab and it is as good as every radio I have ever worked on. For someone to answer your question accurately, they will have to have made measurements with test equipment.

However, if it is for FM only, then spend $100 and buy any used 2M mobile. It has far more features than the 6700 has, such as scanning, broader RX range, WX alert, CTCSS encode/decode, DCS and much more. Your experience will be much better.

2M on the 6700 was really designed for weak signal work such as SSB, EME and Satellite work.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.