Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M and RTTY

I'm enjoying my new 6400M but was disappointed that there is no RTTY decoding available! A surprise because my 'lesser' ICOM's did include this. So my question is what is best 'outboard' decoder to use that will integrate with the 6400M?

Best Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The flex radio is a server and requires some external software to utilize is capabilities. The M panel or a similar maestro provide some limited capabilities, but a pc provides the most options.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓

I have owned a lot of radios (not just Flex). Yes, some of them have RTTY decoding and that is cool. However, it is not really functional for day to day RTTY operation.

In order to really enjoy RTTY, make QSO's, send Brag tapes, etc., you will need a computer to do the that work.

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭

... your PC !

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I use MTTY, but there are others. Most are free or have a free demo period. I would try different ones to find what works best for you.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

SSDR for Mac includes RTTY and FT8 encode/decode.

• WØYVA
    WØYVA Member ✭✭

Interesting! Maybe I'll switch from PC to Mac! Thanks.

I did download MMTTY to 'play' and it was quite easy to setup.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

@WØYVA - I just took a peek at your QRZ page. Nice Collins collection and not only one but TWO Signal/One transceivers! In the late 60s and early 70s I really dreamed about having a Signal/One. I got by with my homebrew xtal controlled transmitter and HR-10B...

How much did you need to shore up your shack floor to hold that KW-1 and that other giant amp? :- )

• WØYVA
    WØYVA Member ✭✭

Len,

HI! I gotta tell you that getting a KW-1 into a second level is not trivial. (some disassembly required - 😄)

The S/1's were beyond amazing for their time but early versions were very troublesome and hard to keep running.

More photos on my website -

73, Bob

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.