Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to connect the Flex-6600M to a MacBook Pro

I would like to know how to connect the Flex-6600M to a MacBook Pro. I do not have access to the router. I am in an assisted living facility with limited internet access. The facility has WiFi and my Dell laptop running Widows 10 is connected to the Flex with the ethernet cable. Current setup can not download firmware updates from Flex and I am hoping the Mac system will be able to provide the link. Thanks, Bob, k9foh

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

@Dewitt Lusby

It sounds like you are in a complicated network facility.

Adding the Macbook really will not solve your issues.

It is hard to visualize your cabling, but I think that if you turn on Internet Connection Sharing on your Dell (it is a Windows feature) then that will allow the 6600M to communicate to our servers. This will allow the 6600M to communicate through the Dell Laptop, then into the facility WiFi and finally to the outside world. Windows ICS is turned off by default.

1. Press Windows key + X to open the Power User menu and select Network Connections.
    2. Right-click the network adapter with an Internet connection (Ethernet or wireless network adapter), then select Properties.
    3. Click Sharing.
    4. Put a check mark on Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.
    5. From the Home networking connection drop-down menu, select the Microsoft Hosted Virtual Adapter.
    6. Click OK to finish.
    7. Reboot the radio if it does not have access to our servers.

Answers

• That didn't work and now I have lost SmartSDR on the Dell as well. SmartLink will not connect. The replacement SD card I received a couple of weeks ago had SmartSDR on the computer working and the Flex-6600M worked stand alone. But with two different versions of the software. The facility has been on COVID lockdown for the last several weeks but we should be paroled tomorrow. All of my emails, phone numbers, passwords, and addresses were lost or changed when we moved to Florida and now I can no longer access anything on the Flex site. Hopefully the Mac will be easier to drive than Windows 10. Thanks for trying to help. Bob
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

As it appears you don’t intend to operate remotely , you really only need to connect the radio to the internet a couple of times per year (to update software). Perhaps you can arrange with the facility’s IT person to carry the radio to the router those few times.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Dewitt;

If your laptop is connected to the flex by a cable, don’t use smartlink. It’s only for remote (over the internet) operation.

When connected by a cable, bringing up SmartSDR should automatically connect to the radio. If not, what does it do?

Also, what version of SmartSDR is in use? There hasn’t been an update in months, and apparently no plans for any.

• Dewitt
    Dewitt Member ✭✭
    SmartSDR takes me to SmartLink log-in which I can't do. Access to the facilities router is not possible. I will try to re-install SmartSDR v2.4.10. Bob. ps: The Dewitt is my middle name and was one way to get access to the community link. Another story.
  • 我也有同样的问题,如何将我的6400链接进入互联网,如何设置smartlink。
  • [{"insert":"English translation? \n"}]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.